College / Continuing Ed: COPY OF IEP FROM OVER 15 YEARS AGO?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Nicole:  I am trying to help a student receive accommodations in a college setting. Unfortunately, he does not have a copy of his IEP and is 31 years old. How can I assist him in getting an old copy?


Leave a Reply

1 Comment threads
0 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
1 Comment authors
Notify of
Jill G

Nicole –

I suggest your son consult your state law regarding student records. IEPs are considered part of a student’s temporary record in most states, and may be disposed of after a certain amount of time. Once he knows what the rules are in your state, he will be better equipped to contact the district and ask for a copy.

I also encourage him to contact your state’s vocation rehabilitation office, if he has not already. They should be able to help him get accommodations. Here’s a list by state: