Accommodations: LATE ASSIGNMENTS AND 504

Treena:  HI ~ I have a high schooler that is just about to graduate, she has a 504 plan put in place due to clinical depression and insomnia. She’s missed allot of school and has rec’d excessive absence notices. Her language arts teacher won’t let her turn in assignments ,because she says she wasn’t there to turn in or its to late. with 5 weeks away she’s in jeopardy of failing this class. Can the teacher not accept assignments being to late, if the child has a 504?

Amber
01/26/2021 5:54 pm

Our school district stated that they “do not take homework into consideration for 504’s or IEP’s.” Our high schooler is incredibly bright (honors/AP classes), but has severe ADHD that is helped with medication. The problem arises when homework comes into play. Due to previous negative side effects, he cannot take additional meds after school to help him focus and complete his homework, which often results in missing/incomplete work. Is our school district legally allowed to do this? When we lived in a previous school district he was given extra time on assignments (including homework) and he always had A’s and no missing assignments. He has never received any other accommodations, other than additional time on assignments, and we are not asking for anything more than that.

Andrea
04/15/2021 2:44 pm
Reply to  Amber

I have the same issue happening. I look forward to a reply

04/16/2021 1:04 pm
Reply to  Amber

Amber, Andrea, I am not clear if the school is saying 504 rules, or district procedures do not allow accommodations for homework. 504 rules certainly allow this, & district policy should. Ask the district 504 coordinator to show you the district policy, & the district internal complaint process. Your state parent training & information project can also give you information on your state rules on this, & your options. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center

Andrea
04/29/2021 8:36 am
Reply to  Chuck

Great questions to ask…I am still battling this one. It seems ridiculous to not allow homework a grace period.

Andrea
04/30/2021 8:37 am
Reply to  Chuck

Chuck, the school will only put the late homework issue in the section on the back page of the 504. It is in area “additional information”. Do you have any insight into this?

05/03/2021 12:20 pm
Reply to  Andrea

Special education provides students with specially designed instruction (which includes accommodations). 504 provides accommodations to give students access to learning the curriculum. It does not really matter where in the paperwork it lists accommodations, as long as they are clearly stated so anyone understands them. Each district is to have a 504 coordinator. If you have not done so, you should contact this person. Parents can use the district complaint process, or for 504 students, parents can request a due process hearing. However, the district sets this up and finds the hearing officer.

Dorothy
01/26/2021 2:49 pm

In a 504 Plan what does time and a half mean? If my assignment was for 30 minutes, does the student get an extra half of the 30 for a total of 45 minutes or do they get the 30 minutes plus 45 minutes for a total of 75 minutes. I am being told the latter at my current school but was told the former at my last school

kasi
01/28/2021 8:01 am
Reply to  Dorothy

Time and a half should mean the original time plus half (50% more time) so for 30 minutes they would get 45. 75 minutes would be 150% more time.

Gavin
12/21/2020 1:59 am

I have a 504 in 8th grade and I forget to turn in my gym logs for E learning. I’m scared I’m going to fail with a D+. Can my 504 help at all

12/21/2020 3:05 pm
Reply to  Gavin

Possibly, especially if your issues related to forgetfulness, e.g ADHD, executive functioning. I think the best thing is to get them turned in ASAP, with an appropriate explanation to the teacher. Also try to locate the district & campus policies on grading. Sometimes they give the teacher some flexibility in determining grades.

Lupe
09/13/2018 11:29 pm

Many parents are complete morons when it comes to IEPs and 504 99% of the time. Most of the parents that like to complain haven’t actually read the documents. Many parents don’t spend any time checking their students homework or following up about anything until grade is posted. If a child has a 504 plan and truly needs one then, what I would suggest is understanding there’s a difference between extended time as an accommodation and not doing your work. Extended time does not mean turning in all assignments late. Most assignments that are given as homework or not open ended nor or they tuthe best policy is to understand that most teachers are educated and not only do they know how to read these documents but they are often the ones advocating for your child to get access to these services.

Pattiey
03/28/2019 8:40 am
Reply to  Lupe

Complete morons?? I think you are generalizing and judging inappropriately . Parents are mostly uninformed and the schools do not provide access to resources for them to educate themselves. It took me many years to learn the inns and outs of special education.

James
05/29/2019 11:54 pm
Reply to  Lupe

Sorry. I’m going to have to chime in here because clearly, some people don’t really know what they are talking about and need some education on the topic. Just to clarify I am a current student with ADHD and have had to struggle through these things and know the ins and outs very well in both public and private schools from hundreds of hours of research and personal experience. For starters children with ADHD have it in varying severities so it is not correct at all to generalize all children with ADHD as the same. Another things that I wouldn’t say that the parents are morons, in fact, my parents, for example, have been very involved with the school around these things and I believe that is a common thing which parents with children with ADHD have to do which takes time from their already

Yone
04/30/2020 2:34 pm
Reply to  Lupe

Lupe this hurts. Obviously, you have no idea what parents go through emotionally and mentally when dealing with their children who such accommodations. Not everyone, even when these documents are read understand what they’re reading. I get where you are coming from but you do not ever need to be this harsh in this forum. People like me come to places like this for help.

That wasn’t cool and we learned this in Kindergarten so who are you to judge.

Admin
05/03/2020 10:48 pm
Reply to  Yone

Thanks, Yone.

Dominick
01/31/2021 2:09 pm
Reply to  Lupe

complete morons?? the same can be said about some “teachers” or a “purveyor of information”, which ever you are…It sounds like you have been at it too long and lost your focus about why you’re there..collect a paycheck or reach the children and educate them so they can be productive in their future endeavors …smh

Sharon L.
05/02/2016 6:17 pm

It depends on what is written on the 504 plan. If there are no accommodations or modifications that account for late work, etc. it can be difficult. I think you should have a meeting with the school and see if you can get the superintendent involved. It may help. You would need to remind them how discriminatory this would be.