Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Andy:  When parents and the school team disagree on a specific component of the IEP, in our case service minutes, does ‘stay put’ apply to the specific area of dispute (minutes) or the entire IEP? Our IEP team will not implement a new reading goal that we reached full agreement on until we (parents) agree to reduce service minutes in an unrelated service area. The team is saying the IEP is in ‘stay put’ til we agree to reduced minutes. Feels like they are holding our new goal hostage – like IEP blackmail.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
05/01/2020 4:08 pm

Hi, I field a DP Hearing request in Missouri on 4/20 and it was received on 4/22. I also filed a motion to stay. After the request was received, and the motion to stay was granted, the district sent me the eligibility determination and testing results. Both of which I refused to sign at last meeting because I disagreed with the adequacy of testing and the LEA said they would move forward with or without me. How can I enforce the stay put?
Thank You!

05/03/2020 10:12 pm
Reply to  Jessica

Jessica, we can’t provide legal advice. If you don’t have a lawyer, suggest you look for an attorney who specializes / practices special ed law to request a consult.

01/15/2020 8:56 pm

I’m homeschooling my child for the rest of the year and want the IEP to stay put as I don’t want to change it. the setting is different in homeschooling and they want to take minutes away. for homeschooling it’s fine but not to change the IEP. Any insight as to stay put for a temporary situation. thanks

02/12/2019 9:17 am

Does NJ allow stay put when the child is out of district?

05/26/2020 1:00 am
Reply to  RachaelS


Mom Advocate
08/10/2017 8:24 pm

You can utilize partial consent and consent to (be very specific) the items you are in agreement with. The IEP will update accordingly. Partial consent is a gift. Use it to prevent this type of situation. Once you consent the district must implement.

08/11/2017 1:04 pm
Reply to  Mom Advocate

Unfortunately, every state does not allow partial consent.

05/26/2020 1:42 pm
Reply to  Mom Advocate

The TX education agency says that the parent does not have this right. But the parent can use the dispute resolution processes to try to get changes. I cannot understand why the federal Dept. Of Education allows this.

05/09/2016 12:20 pm

I would urge this Parent to review ANCHORAGE SCHOOL DISTRICT v. M.P.
U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
July 19, 2012

ASD v. MP, specifically addresses the issue of the agency holding the Parent “hostage” and not moving the IEP process along where agreement exists or the student’s current needs are being ignored. My interpretation of ASD v. MP is that the present level of performance and goals and objectives in an IEP are never in “stay put” and the agency has a statutory obligation to update these areas despite a stay put dispute that involves the current educational placement.

Jill G
04/11/2016 7:08 pm

Andy –

From this and your other post, it sounds like you are in a tough situation with the school. Like parent consent, the way that individual states interpret “stay put” varies greatly.

Your local parent center can help you understand the intricacies of how the process works in your state (

Sorry that I cannot offer a concrete answer. These are two areas in particular that have wide variation, due to state law and hearing office interpretation.