Print Friendly, PDF & Email

cathy:  What are my rights as a parent of a child that attends high school. my
child was a victim at school, she witnessed a fight between a student and a student from another school. my child simply tried to stop the fight because she felt the student was being badly beaten.  my child was severely hurt when beaten by three female students on school campus and not protected by security. I do not want to send my child back to that school. what rights do i have as a parent to transfer my child to another school for her protection?

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
11/20/2020 10:15 am

My Daughter is being bullied and doesn’t feel safe at this school so I’m changing her school

02/09/2019 3:21 pm

my daughters school wants to put her in a residential home but i said no but they don’t care. my daughter isn’t in danger ed or anything like that. they also aren’t allowing me to put her on an online school or transfer her. she’s currently going to a therapeutic school. she doesn’t belong there and even they know it they said she’s higher than the kids there. is it legal to keep her there against our will ?

02/11/2019 2:25 pm
Reply to  wendy

States are required to have procedures for dealing with disputes, disagreements like this. Schools are to give parents a procedural safeguards document that explains these processes and how to use them in the state. The state education agency website should have information on these. Your state parent training & information center can assist you also.

09/28/2018 4:09 pm

My son is in elementary school and I’ve done everything I could possibly do his still being bullied I think it’s time to change schools

09/29/2018 12:07 pm
Reply to  Tammy

If you have exhausted all avenues and the bullying is still going on then I concur with you it is time to change schools. Your son has the right to receive his education without it being impacted by bullies. Your son maybe able to go to a private school on the districts dime. Look into that and let the school know you are considering a private placement. While you are doing that make sure your son is involved in outside activities such as sports, art clubs, or even scouts to help with self esteem and keep interacting with other kids.

02/12/2016 11:52 am

The district should have policy on the transfer of students within the district. This may be available on their website or thru the central office. The state education agency & parent training & information project can also assist you.