Educational Records: HOW TO GET A COPY OF MY OLD IEP

Tina:  How does a person get a copy of their IEP from their old school in 1987?

Liz
10/21/2020 10:50 am

Hi I got tested in school And diagnosed with a learning disability in the 4th grade I’ve had an IEP since the 6th grade would I get my records at my elementary school or high school and how would I go about that? I need to show proof to my work that I have a learning disability and I’ve been out of school for over 20 yrs thanks

Gisselle
10/14/2020 11:14 pm

Hi I need a copy of my IEP diploma ASAP. How do I go about receiving it?

10/15/2020 2:39 pm
Reply to  Gisselle

I suggest starting with your district central office. Or your district website may tell how to go about doing this.

Glenda
08/20/2020 6:30 pm

Hi. I need to get my learning disability records from 1981. How do I go about doing that?

Fiona Nguyen
08/20/2020 1:21 am

Hi, my name is Fiona Nguyen. I graduated high school in 2016 from Sheldon High School. I was an IEP student since 7th Where I attended T.R. Smedberg Middle School. By any you or they’d still have a copy of it because the DSPS office at Sac City College requires me to have some type of paperwork prove to show I have disabilities.

Admin
08/25/2020 9:03 am
Reply to  Fiona Nguyen

Hi Fiona: You can write a letter to the school district administrative office to request your education records. The law that authorizes students to obtain their records is the Family Education Records Privacy Act.

The purposes of FERPA are twofold:
* to ensure that parents have access to their children’s educational records and
* to protect the privacy rights of parents and children by limiting access to these records without parental consent.

You can learn more about FERPA here: https://www.wrightslaw.com/info/ferpa.index.htm

Sarah
07/01/2020 3:56 pm

I’m 30 years old and I’m 504, I graduated in 2008. I recently been at GCU for a year-and-a-half I would like paper stating that I am 504 and I would like records and accommodations that I need where in Texas can you get these records from I’ve tried my district they don’t have any after 10 years they demolish these. Someone please help

07/06/2020 2:51 pm
Reply to  Sarah

If the school does not have this, then it likely no longer exists unless your family or a teacher would have a copy. If you need this for college accommodations, you can ask the center that works with individuals with disabilities what is needed. You may be able to be evaluated by someone on their staff or in the community. If this is for a work situation, you can ask the appropriate department. Good luck.

Sheila
06/18/2020 4:24 pm

I need to get a copy of my child’s last IEP , does anyone know where I need to go to get one ?

Michael
06/16/2020 1:34 pm

I live in staten island new your I’m trying to get my IEP record so I can get acomadations on the Tasc /GED test I tried calling the last school I attended but they dont have it. They told me to call the department of education but it’s the worng number I keep calling if anyone has any ide would be helpful thanks

06/17/2020 2:26 pm
Reply to  Michael

Your state parent training and information center may be able to help you. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center

Kevin
04/14/2020 10:42 pm

i graduated in 2000- and im in college now 2020 my high school don’t know if they would have them any more how would i go about it if i can’t find them?

Admin
04/15/2020 11:45 am
Reply to  Kevin

Student records are governed by state law. Most states have laws about maintaining student records and regulations that address various issues about records – for example, how long should the school keep records after the student graduates.

The correct answer to your question varies by state. Your state departments of education and agencies in charge of record maintenance may be able to help.

Morning
04/17/2020 12:36 pm
Reply to  Kevin

Kevin, I am not sure where you are in the process. However, some colleges will provide educational evaluations as some students start college with suspected disabilities that impact learning that were not fully evaluated or caught in high school. If you cannot obtain your IEP, contact your local college (or large university) disability office for recommendations on how to proceed. For example, the Rutgers University link provides an outline how current students may obtain evaluations on campus. If you are a veteran, check with your local VA Health Center. A recent evaluation will give you more current and relevant insight.

Admin
04/19/2020 12:58 pm
Reply to  Morning

Thanks, Morning. I didn’t know that some colleges will provide evals. People who post answers on this blog teach me something new every day.

Joy
03/26/2020 3:51 pm

how can i get my IEP

Admin
04/15/2020 11:58 am
Reply to  Joy

Joy, you don’t say if you are a student in a K-12 pubic school now, or if you are no longer in school. If you are currently a student, and are 18 or older, you can request to access/view your education records. Your IEP team should provide your parent with copies of your IEPs.

If you are no longer a student, the situation is more complicated. Student records are governed by state law and regulations. As I mentioned in my response to Kevin, your state department of education may be able to help.

ezra
02/24/2020 8:37 pm

how can i find out if i have had a iep done

02/25/2020 11:52 am
Reply to  ezra

The district’s special education department has a record of all students they have provided an IEP to.

Ensley
12/12/2019 6:01 pm

I graduated from high school since 95. How do I go by getting my IEP records for this present time?

Lisa
12/09/2019 3:01 am

My daughter was diagnosed with autism i in the year 2000she graduated from high school 2015 she’s in college how can I get a copy of her IEP from the state of California so she can get help in college the college want her IEP stating that she does have autism.

12/09/2019 1:05 pm
Reply to  Lisa

The district or high school she graduated from should have this. States set rules on how long certain records must be kept.

Genevieve
09/17/2019 11:47 am

Would like to know how i can get my old IEP

09/17/2019 3:55 pm
Reply to  Genevieve

Check with the special ed department of the school you attended, if you have not done so. There is a number of years that they must keep certain records.

Crystal
04/17/2019 11:30 am

How do I get my old IEP RECORD in AL from 85 – 90 something.

Maria
03/20/2019 12:02 pm

Does any now how to obtain evaluation/testing, IEP records from 1990 thru 1994 in New York City?? I’m looking for anything to validate my memories of being tested, counseling, etc. while in public school.

03/20/2019 2:57 pm
Reply to  Maria

I would suggest contacting the NY State Dept. of Education, if you have not already done that..

Josephine
11/05/2018 5:07 pm

How can I get copy’s of my IEP if I finished school in 2000 N I had IEP all through school

Marcus
11/05/2018 5:26 pm
Reply to  Josephine

You might be able to go to the district where you went and get it from there.

Joseph
11/01/2018 7:36 pm

I’m look to obtain my son’s IEP records from 1993-2006

Marcus
11/05/2018 5:27 pm
Reply to  Joseph

Go to the district office where your son went and request for a copy.

Lisa
10/03/2018 1:09 pm

How to I get a copy of my schools IEP if the military base I went to is closed

10/03/2018 3:44 pm
Reply to  Lisa

Your state parent training and information center may be able to help you. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center

Jonathan
09/26/2018 1:19 pm

How can I obtain my IEP. Graduated 2006. Call my school department, said they get rid of them every 7 years.. Is there still a way or am I screwed?

09/26/2018 3:20 pm
Reply to  Jonathan

They are to keep records that show a person was served thru special ed, & perhaps the disability, but not the IEP. Ask them what records they do have.

Lavette
08/06/2018 11:31 am

Good morning – I’m trying to get a copy of my iep from School. How can I do this?

08/06/2018 3:07 pm
Reply to  Lavette

Contact the special education department of the school.

blain
03/31/2018 4:06 pm

How does a person get a copy of their IEP from high school

isaiah
05/23/2018 1:43 pm
Reply to  blain

u have to go to the school department

Regina
06/14/2018 12:07 am
Reply to  isaiah

Which school department because I live in Jackson ms

Christina
03/20/2018 3:04 pm

How do I get my IEP for Nebraska VR?

03/20/2018 3:53 pm
Reply to  Christina

The Nebraska parent training & information center may be able to assist you. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center

Gabriela
02/17/2018 5:25 pm

I need a copy of my old IEP from a high school in South Central LA

Marcus
03/20/2018 10:00 pm
Reply to  Gabriela

Gabriela you could write a letter to the school district with identifying information – full name, DOB, schools attended if your graduation is recent they may still have it somewhere on file. You can also check with the special education office of the district you attended.

josette
09/01/2017 7:27 pm

Can I get a copy of my IEP

Admin
01/31/2017 4:51 pm

Tina, you could write a letter to the school district with identifying information – full name, DOB, schools attended.

But 30 years have passed. Schools are allowed to destroy old education records. I’m not optimistic that your old IEP exists.

Ashley
01/16/2018 11:53 pm
Reply to  Wrightslaw

What do i do if my old high doesnt have them anymore

01/17/2018 1:10 pm
Reply to  Ashley

Check with the district special ed office, if you have not already done so.