Educational Records: HOW TO GET A COPY OF MY OLD IEP

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Tina:  How does a person get a copy of their IEP from their old school in 1987?

Leave a Reply

18 Comment threads
19 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
24 Comment authors
Notify of

i graduated in 2000- and im in college now 2020 my high school don’t know if they would have them any more how would i go about it if i can’t find them?

Student records are governed by state law. Most states have laws about maintaining student records and regulations that address various issues about records – for example, how long should the school keep records after the student graduates.

The correct answer to your question varies by state. Your state departments of education and agencies in charge of record maintenance may be able to help.


Kevin, I am not sure where you are in the process. However, some colleges will provide educational evaluations as some students start college with suspected disabilities that impact learning that were not fully evaluated or caught in high school. If you cannot obtain your IEP, contact your local college (or large university) disability office for recommendations on how to proceed. For example, the Rutgers University link provides an outline how current students may obtain evaluations on campus. If you are a veteran, check with your local VA Health Center. A recent evaluation will give you more current and relevant insight.

Thanks, Morning. I didn’t know that some colleges will provide evals. People who post answers on this blog teach me something new every day.


how can i get my IEP

Joy, you don’t say if you are a student in a K-12 pubic school now, or if you are no longer in school. If you are currently a student, and are 18 or older, you can request to access/view your education records. Your IEP team should provide your parent with copies of your IEPs.

If you are no longer a student, the situation is more complicated. Student records are governed by state law and regulations. As I mentioned in my response to Kevin, your state department of education may be able to help.


how can i find out if i have had a iep done


The district’s special education department has a record of all students they have provided an IEP to.


I graduated from high school since 95. How do I go by getting my IEP records for this present time?


My daughter was diagnosed with autism i in the year 2000she graduated from high school 2015 she’s in college how can I get a copy of her IEP from the state of California so she can get help in college the college want her IEP stating that she does have autism.


The district or high school she graduated from should have this. States set rules on how long certain records must be kept.


Would like to know how i can get my old IEP


Check with the special ed department of the school you attended, if you have not done so. There is a number of years that they must keep certain records.


How do I get my old IEP RECORD in AL from 85 – 90 something.


Does any now how to obtain evaluation/testing, IEP records from 1990 thru 1994 in New York City?? I’m looking for anything to validate my memories of being tested, counseling, etc. while in public school.


I would suggest contacting the NY State Dept. of Education, if you have not already done that..


How can I get copy’s of my IEP if I finished school in 2000 N I had IEP all through school


You might be able to go to the district where you went and get it from there.


I’m look to obtain my son’s IEP records from 1993-2006


Go to the district office where your son went and request for a copy.


How to I get a copy of my schools IEP if the military base I went to is closed


Your state parent training and information center may be able to help you.


How can I obtain my IEP. Graduated 2006. Call my school department, said they get rid of them every 7 years.. Is there still a way or am I screwed?


They are to keep records that show a person was served thru special ed, & perhaps the disability, but not the IEP. Ask them what records they do have.


Good morning – I’m trying to get a copy of my iep from School. How can I do this?


Contact the special education department of the school.


How does a person get a copy of their IEP from high school


u have to go to the school department


Which school department because I live in Jackson ms


How do I get my IEP for Nebraska VR?


The Nebraska parent training & information center may be able to assist you.


I need a copy of my old IEP from a high school in South Central LA


Gabriela you could write a letter to the school district with identifying information – full name, DOB, schools attended if your graduation is recent they may still have it somewhere on file. You can also check with the special education office of the district you attended.


Can I get a copy of my IEP

Tina, you could write a letter to the school district with identifying information – full name, DOB, schools attended.

But 30 years have passed. Schools are allowed to destroy old education records. I’m not optimistic that your old IEP exists.


What do i do if my old high doesnt have them anymore


Check with the district special ed office, if you have not already done so.