Trapped in Whole Language – Will 504 Accommodations Do Any Good?

Please write a book on 504 accommodations that includes ideas specific to dyslexia with emphasis on reading, writing & spelling. I need information on 504 accommodations beyond the typical ‘extended time’ – things like the use of text to speech for high stakes tests such as PSAT, ACT/SAT, and medical school/grad school exams. – from ‘Trapped in Whole Language’ All the accommodations in the world will not teach a child with dyslexia how to read, …Read more

Art & Music for Students with Disabilities – “They Just DON’T GET TO GO!”

I am an ESE teacher of students with autism in a self-contained class. The majority of my students are not allowed to go to art and music unless they can be mainstreamed without a paraprofessional’s assistance. My principal told me, “they just don’t get to go.” When I called the ESE department in my district, they told me the principal could make that decision. They said disabled students are only entitled to academics, not electives. …Read more

Advocating for a Child with ADHD – 504 or IEP?

I’ve scheduled my daughter for a speech & language evaluation due to CAPD and potential expressive language disorder. She also has a diagnosis of ADHD Inattentive. Our school district goes to any means to prevent giving a 504 for ADHD. They say it does not substantially affect learning. How do I advocate for all her needs? You need to get a copy of Section 504 and read it. Search the Wrightslaw website for information about …Read more

When Teachers Won’t Provide Accommodations in the IEP

My child has language-based learning disabilities and fine motor problems that make it impossible for him to produce legible written work. His IEP includes accommodations to help with these problems. Some of his regular education teachers won’t provide these accommodations. What can I do?

Is a Child with ADD/ADHD Entitled to Special Ed Services Under IDEA? A 504 Plan Under Section 504?

For parents, teachers, related services providers, and school administrators who have questions about whether children with ADD/ADHD qualify for special education services under IDEA, please read the Joint Policy Memorandum on ADD/ADHD published in 1991. This Memorandum was published jointly by the Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, the Office for Civil Rights, and the Office of Elementary and Secondary Education. The Memo clarifies that children with ADD/ADHD may be eligible for special …Read more

Walk in the School’s Shoes: Help them WANT to Help Your Child

As a parent, your ultimate goal is to educate school personnel so they want to help your child. The most important ability to use in resolving problems with the school is to put yourself in the shoes of the people on the other side and answer these questions: * How do they see the problem? (their perceptions) * What do they feel and believe? (their beliefs) * What do they want? (their interests) * What …Read more

When Schools Punish Sick Children Who Miss School: A Game Plan

(Moved from Community Helpline) My child has an IEP. She has chronic health problems documented by three medical specialists and she has a Health Plan. Chronic health problems and medical appointments forced her to miss many school days this year. She made up all her work and has no incomplete assignments. Her grades are A’s and B’s. The school told her that if she doesn’t make up the time she missed, she will not get …Read more

Help! My son with LD graduates. Who will write his 504 when he loses his IEP?

Gina-Marie writes – Help! My son with LD and an IEP is graduating from high school and I understand he will lose his IEP. Will he have a 504 now and who will do it? What colleges are best for kids with learning disabilities? Gina-Marie: Thanks for writing. I’m posting your comment because at this time of year, I know many parents have the same questions about the transition to college. The good news is …Read more