Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Sophia: My sister will be graduating high school. However a potential university stated her Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale – IV is outdated.

Can I request the high school to administer the test? The high school psychologist stated there is no reason to test my sister as testing is only needed if the current individualized education program is not working for her.

  1. Sophia –

    The school psychologist is more or less right. The school must only provide evaluations when they are intended to be used towards eligibility findings or informing the development or revision of an IEP.

    You can certainly ask the school to provide it, but they have no obligation. I encourage your sister to contact your state’s vocational rehabilitation agency (http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AboutFDA/WorkingatFDA/UCM277757.pdf). They may be able to fund the assessment, and/or provide other supportive services.

    On a side note they school does have an obligation to provide transition related supports and services, if your sister needs them. This often includes, for college-bound students, assistance with the process of applying for college accommodations. I encourage her to also contact her local parent center (not just for parents!), if she feels her transition planning is lacking – http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center/.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please help us defeat spam. Thank you. *