Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Terri:  I am a PT working in Public School for past 20 years. I would like to become an educational advocate as I feel I have a lot to offer students and families because of my background in motor as well as what I have learned about Special Education. How do I go about this?

Notify of
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
06/14/2016 2:14 pm

Terri: There is no formal process and currently no national certification for advocates.
Pete suggests you attend one of our programs – great training and networking with other advocates who can give you advice.
Schedule of Wrightslaw training programs:
We add new dates and locations so check the page for a location of training near you.

A good source of training (without the networking) is our Special Education Law and Advocacy Multimedia Training Program. Info here:
Continuing Education Credits (CEUs) are available for this training, info here:

Articles about becoming an advocate:
* So You Want to Be an Advocate
* Advocacy FAQs
* Summer School 2013 – So You Want to Be an Advocate!

Contact your state Parent Training and Information Center (PTI) and request info about training they provide.
Directory of PTIs:

Other people obtain Advocacy and Leadership Training through Partners in Policymaking:

Hope this information helps. Good luck in your advocacy journey!