Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Christy: My son who is currently Homeschooled due to the school sticking him in a restrictive in-school detention room for two weeks without informing me, offered Occupational Therapy last year as a homeschooled child under a Service Plan in his IEP. This year they are refusing services to all homeschooled children in the district. By law they are required to offer services if money is available am I correct? Has that law changes? I was informed by the school that they no longer have to provide any services to honeschooled children. Is this true or are they giving me the run around because they don’t want to pay for an independent OT? We live in Texas.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
05/21/2016 2:27 pm

Christy, I see this is a bit old, but still want to comment in the hopes that it will help you or someone else.
I would highly advise that you join the homeschool legal defense association, and they can advise you and even advocate for your child. Go to for more information and for their toll free number.
You should have access to these services.

Jill G
12/29/2015 7:24 pm

Christy –

How states treat home-schooled children varies greatly state to state. I would strongly suggest that you consult with someone locally. Your state Dept of Education is a good bet for accurate information.

You may also want to connect with your local parent center (someone from the Texas one often posts on here): And the Texas Home School Coalition may also be able to offer info and support:

12/29/2015 7:23 pm

Christy, I am the person that JG referred to. IDEA requires districts to spend some of their IDEA funds to provide services to some students with disabilities attending private non-profit schools. This includes homeschools in TX. This requirement has not changed in TX. My guess is they have decided to spent the required funds on just students in private schools, which is allowed. You can request that the special ed director respond to your request in writing. You could also make a complaint to the TX education agency. I & our staff can provide you with more help.