Print Friendly, PDF & Email

meme:  My daughter has ADHD and Aspergers. I asked for an IEP Eval and I asked for advanced notice before the testing which they never gave. She is 16 1/2 and hated all the testing and being pulled from class. She qualified for an IEP under Speech/Language because they found abstract and pragmatic language difficulties. They want to pull her from class to put her in a weekly social group to work on this and she profusely refuses to be pulled away from her peers. There is no other time or place they can provide these services. What we both really want is a tutor. Any suggestions on how to get tutoring support. The other issues I can have her psychologist work on.

Leave a Reply

1 Comment threads
1 Thread replies
Most reacted comment
Hottest comment thread
2 Comment authors
Notify of
Jill G

Meme –

At the heart of it, it sounds like you disagree with your daughter’s IEP regarding how to meet he needs. If you want them to change their mind, and simply asking didn’t work, you want to provide them with proof that what your asking for (in your case, tutoring) is needed.

One way to do this is to arrange for a private evaluation for your daughter, one that will (hopefully) support your position. Another way is to arrange for the tutoring yourself, and ask them to take over payment when it begins to show the outcome you want.

And at any time, you can pursue dispute resolution options – local resolution, mediation, due process hearing, etc. Your local parent center can talk you through the ins and outs of each of these options (http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center/).


Thank you. That is good information. By the time this would all complete, she would probably be 17 and even more frustrated.