Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Hazel:  Are school psychologists, OT, speech & language specialists required to recommend what a special child specifically needs(autistic) or what IS only available in the district?
Should they recommend the services that are not available in schools but the child would need to address his appropriate & unique needs? If they don’t disclose their recommendation that is not offered in the district, are they in violation of FAPE?

Leave a Reply

3 Comments on "Evaluations / Recommendations: SCHOOL EVALUATORS RECOMMENDATIONS"

Notify of

My son is 18 and a Senior in High school. We have yet to have a transition meeting. What do these normal intel and how do we transition from High school to college the IEP.

I recommend that you contact your state parent training & information project asap. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center

Hazel, school psychologists and other evaluators should make recommendations about what the child needs. An evaluator’s recommendations may be influenced by what is available in their district. This is human nature, not a legal issue.

Please read our article, “Why Parents Should Get a Comprehensive Evaluation by an Independent Evaluator” at http://www.wrightslaw.com/info/test.indep.evals.htm