The Wrightslaw Way

to Special Education Law and Advocacy

The Wrightslaw Way random header image

When Teachers Won’t Provide Accommodations in the IEP

by Pete Wright

My child has language-based learning disabilities and fine motor problems that make it impossible for him to produce legible written work. His IEP includes accommodations to help with these problems. Some of his regular education teachers won’t provide these accommodations. What can I do?

If regular education teachers are not implementing the accommodations in your child’s IEP, you need to document this. A good strategy is to write short polite letters to people in authority. Begin by writing a polite letter to the principal. Describe the problem and ask for his help.

Your letter should be factual, not emotional. Do not blame or portray your child as a victim.

Your First Letter

Dear Mr. Principal:

As you know, my son Rob has severe language based learning disabilities and fine motor problems. He is unable to produce legible written work. As a result of these disabilities, his IEP states that he will receive accommodations, including X and Y and Z.

Some of Rob’s regular education teachers are not providing the accommodations in his IEP. I have talked to them but nothing changed. I need help.

I’d like to schedule an appointment to talk with you. My work phone number is 888-123-4567. My home number is 888-765-4321 after 6 p.m.


Marie Parent

Moving Up the Ladder

Assume nothing changes.

Move up the bureaucratic ladder to the next person in authority. Write a letter that describes the problem and your attempts to resolve it. Attach copies of the other letters you wrote to school personnel.

Dear Ms. Special Education Director:

Two weeks ago, I wrote a letter to Mr. Principal. I advised him that my son’s regular education teachers are not providing the accommodations in his IEP. I asked for his help in getting the teachers to implement the accommodations.

When I met with him, I had the sense that his hands are tied. I’m turning to you for help.


Marie Parent

Your Next Step – Taking Action

Continue up the ladder to decision-makers with more power – the Superintendent and school board members.

If the problem continues and you need to take action –- to request a due process hearing or a file a complaint with the Office of Civil Rights – your polite factual letters will be excellent evidence. You advised several school authorities about the problem in writing. You asked for help. No one stepped up to the plate.

Under those circumstances, even Ms. Manners would take them to court.

Print Friendly

Tags:   · · · · 49 Comments

Leave a Reply

49 Comments on "When Teachers Won’t Provide Accommodations in the IEP"


Can teachers be sued for personal property if a 504 or IEP is not followed or is it the school district?


I have 9yr old and his IEP IS NOT BEING FOLLOWED.I have spoken to the teacher about an Agenda/ website even gone as far as letting him know to email me or text me the homework. My son has a problem staying focus and retaining auditory information. Homework is hell !!! I have already spoke with the principal over the phone , and the only thing they did was made sure he copied the homework down. The problem is he writes poorly and doesn’t know what to do because he cant remember. Im writing this letter to the principal hope this helps. Any advice? thank you


The first step should NOT be a a letter to the principal FOR THE FIRST OCCURRENCE or BEFORE YOU SPEAK TO THE TEACHER. It could make the parent appear to be adversarial. I think the first step should be a polite note to the teacher( or individual who did not provide the accommodation). When working with the professionals who service your children, you always want to do things that reinforce the idea that everyone is part of the same team. That means giving the individual an opportunity to correct the mistake or oversight first. If it continues, then it would be appropriate to speak to or write a note to the principal.