Tests and Assessments: COGNITIVE EVALUATION

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

James:  My daughter 3 years ago scored IQ of 109 on the WISC IV and qualified for a IEP in passage comprehension. She only had the 22 point discrepancy in one of the 2 test so she didn’t qualify for written expression. Last month at age 11 and 1/2 years old she scored a 82 on the KABC-II and a 89 on the WISC V. She qualified for basic reading but not on the language part. I can’t wait 3 more years, she needs help in language now. What do you suggest ? pediatric neurologist, independent testing, complain to SSD in St Louis. Why didn’t they just give her another WISC IV like 3 years ago.
Thank you for your help!

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
02/20/2018 10:09 am

They must use the most current assessment measures which is why the gave the WISV-V and not the WISC-IV.

Sharon L.
02/19/2018 3:28 pm

I would send a letter to the school principal and/or spec director requesting this testing & let them know why. I send the letter certified mail & request a response in 5 business days. Meet with the school & sign the eval request form & make sure the tests are the ones you want. Once you sign the consent form the school has 60 days to do the test. The letter does not start the clock ticking only the consent form does this.

Jill G
03/08/2016 12:01 pm

James –

It sounds like your issue boils down to a disagreement with your child’s school regarding her needs.

You can certainly arrange for an independent evaluation. You’re more likely to win the school to your side if you have evidence to prove your point, and evaluations are a great source of evidence.

Because it sounds like you disagree with the school’s evaluation, you can ask for an independent evaluation at public expense. Or you can pay for an evaluation out of pocket. Other evidence to support your position may include your child’s school work, report cards, and IEP progress reports.

Evidence in hand, you have a few options to dispute what they are proposing. You can use “local resolution,” which simply means resolving it through the Team process. Or you can request mediation or a due process hearing (a state complaint probably wouldn’t be a good option for you, because they are for procedural violations).

If the school is proposing a reduction in services and you disagree, your child may have a right to “stay put” – essentially receive the services as is, until the dispute is resolved.

I encourage you to contact your local parent center – they can help you better understand your rights and options (http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center/).