Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Penny:  My son’s school is in non compliance of his IEP. Where do I get the help I need?

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
10/05/2016 5:32 pm

I would start by asking for a meeting with the director of special education (e.g. “I would like to meet with you to discuss some concerns I have about compliance with my child’s IEP”), and outlining to him or her your specific compliance concerns. (If you haven’t done that already.) If you don’t see any improvement or good will to make some improvements, the next step I would suggest would be a phone call to your state special ed quality assurance office. If that doesn’t help, then the quickest next step is probably a state special education complaint. If the district suggests mediation, you could certainly give that a try. (You can file an OCR complaint or go to due process but those are the big guns and they take time.)

Make sure you are collecting documentation.

10/03/2016 6:12 pm

Your state parent training & information project can provide you with help.

10/04/2016 12:09 pm
Reply to  Chuck

My son’s school has not been in compliance with his IEP for 2 years now. I had to educate myself on my son’s right. You may start reviewing PRISE. It is appalling how many times the school drops the ball and they get away with it. Reading/researching Special Education Laws, IDEA, 504 plan made me knowlegeable of my son’s right. Before you call for an IEP meeting, please make sure you know your son’s right. I hope that helps..
P.S. We have legal case pending against the district and Emergent Relief was granted for an out -of-district program wherein my son’s special needs are being met.

10/05/2016 5:28 pm
Reply to  Aimee

Congratulations, Aimee.