Functional Behavior Assessments (FBA): REQUESTING A FBA FOR MY CHILD WITH IEP

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Josie: I would like to know how do I go about requesting a FBA for my child who does have a IEP ?

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Sharon L.
04/09/2018 4:19 pm

I sent a letter certified mail to the principal & copied the spec ed director requesting a behavior assessment & asked for a response within 5 business days. Once I got the response i signed the school’s official consent form requesting the testing. The 60 days for testing completion does not start until you sign the school’s consent form. Once the testing was over I asked for a DRAFT copy so I could read the results ahead of time & go over it with a professional physician, advocate and/or attorney. I then scheduled a meeting to discuss the findings. Make sure you sign the back of the IEP that has a box for behavior so that it is officially on the IEP. Do not accept it being “attached”. It is not official if they do that. They should also put the recommendations in the IEP

Sharon L.
04/06/2016 6:53 pm

Send a letter to the school requesting a functional behavior assessment and request that they get back to you in 5 business days. We send our letters certified mail to have a paper trail. Meet with them to sign their consent form. Without their consent form they can stall. Once the consent form is signed typically the testing should be done within 60 days. Once the testing is done you can request a copy ahead of time to get advice from any professionals you may be working with before you meet. If you don’t agree you may not sign and can request an outside evaluation be done at the school’s expense.