Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Mary: What are the parents rights or options if they don’t agree with the proposed IEP? There are conflicting answers..

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
05/05/2019 6:50 pm

Please help! My son has an IEP and I do not like the goals. They are too vague and are not strong enough for him. I want him to be challenged but th school refuses to do that. They say that he will never learn and he is stupid and will end up working at Walmart so he does not need an education. I argue that the school has to give my son a FAPE. School says they are but they are not changing his IEP. I refused to sign and the school implemented it anyway. I tried calling for another meeting but was flat out denied. School is not willing to work with me. They are even saying my son will not be mainstreamed anymore. What should I do?

05/06/2019 5:26 pm
Reply to  Chad

I suggest that you get involved with the state parent training & information center about your situation, they can help you understand your child’s & your rights and the dispute resolution options that you can use to push for an appropriate education for him.

L Street
01/31/2019 11:25 am

My question does not specifically relate to the thread, but I could not find another place to post a new question, and it is generally related. Once appointed by a school district as a surrogate parent under IDEA, can the surrogate be removed, and if so, under what conditions? I fear that if I disagree too much with what they want to do, they will just remove me and appoint someone else. It is actually a very untenable situation.

01/31/2019 4:19 pm
Reply to  L Street

Your state, and school district should have rules about appointing and removing a surrogate. Your state parent training and information project can assist you in finding these.

12/20/2018 12:35 pm

Great suggestion from Chuck. Please note, Mary, that the answer to your question varies from one state to another. In general, I have found it helpful to bring an outside expert who knows the child to a meeting when I’m having trouble getting my voice heard.

01/06/2017 3:02 pm

There is the dispute resolution process mandated under IDEA. There may also be state resolution processes or rules. Your state parent training & information center can assist you.