Legal Developments & Cases: Behavior Problems – School Refuses to Help?

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

 …daughter with behavior problems, school refuses to help. What are my rights?

In Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2016, you’ll learn about the Court’s response to Paradise Valley School District for failing to address the impact of a child’s behavioral issues on her learning.

You will also learn what the law says about eligibility … and read about the repercussions the Paso Robles School District faced when they failed to properly evaluate a child suspected of having autism.

…What about a boy who is leaving school at 20 yrs old. His IEP was the same year after year – so he just gave up. Is it too late to try for quality services for him now?

Read about the new decision requiring a NYC school district to provide special education services for 2 years after the child’s 22nd birthday.

…A parent requested an IEE, the school refused and requested due process against the parent. What should they do?

Learn about a Georgia school district’s fight over a parent’s request for an IEE … and why the district had to pay approximately $300,000.00 in attorney’s fees to the parent’s attorney.

The special education landscape is rapidly changing. You must stay up-to-date on new cases and legal developments to advocate effectively.

Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2016

This unique book includes:

  • All key decisions from Courts of Appeals in 2016
  • Four decisions selected “Cases of the Year”

Immediate Download: $14.95
Order now!

Find out more about this new book!

If you are:

  • the parent of a child with a disability, you represent your child’s interests. You need to know about legal developments that may affect your child’s special education.
  • an educator or related services provider, you need to know about new legal decisions and policies so you can effectively do your job.
  • an advocate or attorney who assists families of children with disabilities, you need to stay current on legal decisions and rulings.

In addition, this book includes:

  • Cases about abuse and discrimination against children with disabilities filed by the Department of Justice
  • Policy and Guidance from the Department of Education on diverse topics including:
    *Section 504 and Students with ADHD
    *Discrimination against students with disabilities
    *Providing behavioral supports in IEP
    *Rights of children with disabilities in public charter school
    *Restraint and seclusion
Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments
and Cases 2016

Add to Cart

  1. Can a child only be EBD at school? My son does not have behavior problems at home, only this year at school and the school wants to label him EBD. I agreed to a psych and his information along with my information does not show emotionality but the teacher ratings do so the school qualified him as EBD. I disagreed with the eligibility.

  2. Please help! I am in a similar situation. My son has behavior problems at his school and I have requested a functional behavior assessment, but the school continues to forget about it. I have sent many emails to the principal reminding her to do the assessment and she keeps telling me that she will, but it doesn’t happen. What can I do?

  3. What kind of behavior problems? What has school done to help? I am a special education teacher. The school has to provide services in the least restrictive environment. What does her IEP say the school is going to do? She should have a BIP, behavior intervention plan. Look over that. If they refuse to follow her BIP, that is illegal. Have u talked to special ed director? Principal, superintendent of school? If they are not following the BIP and refuse to comply, get u a good lawyer familiar with special ed. Laws.

    • Everything works fine if you can afford a lawyer. Unfortunately the horrible school systems know who can’t afford them and do everything they can to deny fape and laugh about it

      • While this happens, Congress recognized it, & put some things in place to try & assist parents. Parents can use the state complaint, & mediation processes without having an attorney. Congress also funded disability rights (legal services), & parent training & information projects in every state.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please help us defeat spam. Thank you. *