Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Jacob: Hello, I am a in my 3 year of high school spanish and I am having problems with the teacher. Over the course of the year she has not given me back up notes or extra time on tests, which are both resources my IEP says I have. What should I do?

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
01/09/2019 2:56 pm

This is happening to me as well. My son is middle school with an IEP. Teacher has refused to give him his accommodations and modifications. When I try to ask her about weather or not he received them she tells me that it is her room and she gets to decide what he gets. He is not getting extra time on test or hard copies of notes. What should I do to fight for my son

01/09/2019 4:29 pm
Reply to  Norman

I suggest sharing this with the district special ed director, if you have not already done so, and go up the “chain of command”. You can also involve your state education agency, & parent training and information center.

01/10/2019 9:11 pm
Reply to  Norman

The “chain of command” is typically:
Case Manager (probably the Special Educator)
Special Educator for the area in which the school falls
Principals Boss (in some systems this is the Instructional Director
Special Education Director
This is not in stone, but it gives you an idea. In most cases I have found that things begin to happen once the support people that don’t work in the school, directors and/or those over the school administration, get involved. All accommodations and supplementary aids must be supported with data regarding delivery of them. Data should be identified as to how the accommodation/aid is delivered, a collection method of the effectiveness of the accommodation/aid, and when the effectiveness is reviewed and analyzed.

12/05/2016 6:15 pm

Excellent advice from Chuck! I would add to try e-mailing your Spanish teacher and ask for the accommodations, if you haven’t already. And save all of your e-mails.

12/05/2016 4:51 pm

If you have a special ed case manager, you can share your concern, in writing with that person or the principal. You or your parent can also contact the special ed director about this. If these actions do not improve the situation, we can give you additional options.