Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Cindy:  My son has been battling photophobia and a chronic vomiting. He now has clinical depression. School is treating truancy or offered a reduced schedule of 4 classes with homebound services. He will not be allowed to attend clubs after school. His vomiting episodes can cause him to miss school up to 10 days. He is unable to be in fully lit classrooms because light produces pain even with sunglasses on. Help! I has been a huge struggle just getting him to complete reduced assignments in 2 classes.
Does he have any rights under the law for continuing with 2 classes instead of 4 or can he attend the 1 class that he is now and have time to complete the other 3? Is it all or nothing when a child has a chronic illness? I am afraid that all homebound with no interactions with school will deepen his depression.

Notify of
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
09/10/2019 8:20 pm

What if the child is on a 504 accommodations plan which includes a reduced schedule? The child is in high school and does not want to fall behind with his graduation credits; however, his psychiatric/neurological disorder is not being addressed by the school district as a Special Ed qualification category. Can the child also receive homebound services on a 504 plan for the second half of his school day, such that he is still able to graduate on time?

02/20/2017 3:39 pm

I really feel for you! My child has a chronic illness and has episodes of vomiting! He certainly has a RIGHT to participate. Of course he is depressed right?! Then as a parent you get caught up in the beurocracy that is school! We have a fair bit of home school activities in Florida.You could try to find a group too? God bless you and your son!

02/16/2017 11:48 am

Your child has a right to a free, appropriate education (FAPE). Children are different, their needs are different, and their needs change.

Suggest you write a letter to the Director of Special Ed and request a meeting to develop an IEP that meets his needs *now*. His IEP team may need to meet to revise his IEP several times during the year, if his medical conditions improves or gets worse.

02/09/2017 12:27 pm

An evaluation & input from medical staff could assist in addressing your questions. State rules can affect options available for such situations. Your state parent training and information center can assist you. http://www.parentcenterhub.org/find-your-center