Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Peter: I had an ARD meeting and I seemed to know more about special education procedures than the teacher. I looked up his certification and it has expired 3 years ago. What do I do?

  1. My daughter had down syndrome. The school here in alabama has not had a certified special needs teacher in years. This year she doesn’t even have a teacher and they have no curriculum planned to try and meet her iep. That includes sign language but none of her teachers can sign. No matter who we talk to it doesn’t seem to change. Even the school boards only response is sorry we don’t have the funding.
    What do I do?

    • Not sure what you are asking. An IEP is developed by the required IEP members in a meeting. An aide could be there and record the decisions on the IEP form. They could help write goals, & objectives that they have information on, but ultimately the team is responsible for developing an appropriate IEP.

  2. Hi, I am a biology certified 9-12 teacher who was assigned to teach subjects in which i am not certified – chem and physics. First, this to me is against TEC because I don’t have the required 15 hours in each of those subjects. Second, I have special populations (504, SPED, LEP). I do not think I should be completing modifications and accommodations for these students when I am not certified in that subject. Please advise.

    • I assume you have discussed this situation with the principal. Even if you take this above the principal, it is doubtful they will change your assignment. Asking for training & support, shows that you are trying to be a team player, & support the students, & campus. The federal special ed law recognizes that often teachers do not have the training & support needed to address the student’s needs, & IEP. I think an experienced special ed teacher spending time with you now & thru out the year would be a request to start with. A request could be sent to the principal, special ed director, & perhaps 504 & LEP coordinators. TEC = TX Education Code??

  3. I am not sure why his certificate would expire, unless it is some type of temporary certificate. The special ed office would have to answer why it has expired, & if he is working under another certification. TEA is not always quick in issuing new certificates.
    To me the issue is whether the ARD/IEP team is addressing all of your child’s needs. I work with the TX parent training & information project. We have staff through out the state who can assist you. You can find the staff person for your area at: http://www.PartnersTx.org

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


Please help us defeat spam. Thank you. *