Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Lenore:  Several years ago I recall reading on wrightslaw.com website that if a parent suspected autism to be a handicapping condition, then the school district needed to select an evaluator who had training and experience in autism. Is that still the case? Is it state specific (I live in NY)? If this is true, and the district does not have a qualified staff person to perform the evaluation, can the parent request an IEE with a neuropsychologist who has the proper training and experience?

Notify of
1 Comment
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
01/31/2017 3:01 pm

Lenore: Parents have the right to an Independent Educational Evaluation of their child IF the parent disagrees with an evaluation obtained by the school. 34 CFR 300.502. (page 252-253 in Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd edition)

Before you start down this road, you need to know exactly what the law requires. has the school eBefore requesting The parent has to disagree with an evaluationYou say your school doesn’t have a qualified staff person to perform the evaluation. That’s your opinion. If the school does not