Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Ralph:  How long after you request a reevaluation must the school conduct the reevaluation? My son is in the CD (Communication Disorder) self contained class and also has other items on his IEP with possible LD. He is in third grade and we want to see what placement he would be for next year and if there is LD there, then get him in the program he needs to be in as well. He is due for a reevaluation next year, and at our IEP meeting and now officially with the school requested it. Both his Special Ed teach and Speech path agree that he should be tested why he is comfortable and not wait until next year to only move him again. the School Psychologist said, “…There are several students that are actually due this year that need to be completed. We are going as fast as we can but this is a very busy place.” What do I say to that? Thanks

Leave a Reply

3 Comments on "Re-Evaluations Timeline: HOW LONG FOR REEVALUATION AFTER REQUEST?"

Notify of

in our district we can request a re-evaluation once a year & do not have to wait for the 3 year evaluation. I believe this is legal everywhere. I send a letter requesting the eval & ask for a response within 5 business days. I send the letter certified mail to the principal and/or the spec director. Make sure you meet & sign the school’s eval request form. This is the paperwork that starts the clock to get the eval within 60 days. I have done this many times even had once a year for 3 years to check on progress. The school does not like it but they do need to comply.

The 60 day timeline is only for initial evaluations. Testing for a Re-evaluation (if deemed necessary) needs only to be completed by the end of the 3 years. Plus, if you have your child tested as part of the re-determination (instead of just reviewing current data) you run the risk of having your child found ineligible.

Federal rules only required a re-evaluation every 3 years. There is no federal rule on how long they have to do a re-eval after it is request. Your state might have a rule on this. You could request a independent educational evaluation paid for by the district. Your state parent training & information project can assist you.