The Wrightslaw Way

to Special Education Law and Advocacy

The Wrightslaw Way random header image

Do You Know Who is Providing Your Child’s Speech Language Therapy?

by Wrightslaw

If your child receives speech language therapy, you need to pay attention to how the service provider is described in the IEP. If the IEP includes acronyms, you need to ask questions so you know what they mean. Why?

If your child’s IEP says speech therapy services will be provided by a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP), this is legally correct and legitimate.

If your child’s IEP says speech language services will be provided by “SLP/Staff,” your child may receive speech therapy from an untrained, unlicensed individual.

Some administrators encourage IEP teams to write “Special Education Staff,” “SPED staff, or “SLP/Staff” as the speech therapy provider on the child’s IEP. The term “Staff” may refer to anyone on the staff who is willing to do speech therapy — including untrained substitutes, aides and paraprofessionals.

Substitutes, aides and paraprofessionals usually have high school diplomas. They are not licensed by your state Department of Education, nor are they certified by The American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA). ASHA is the professional, scientific, and credentialing association for audiologists, speech-language pathologists, and speech, language, and hearing scientists.

Substitutes may sign off on the IEP paperwork as “Speech Therapy Substitutes.” This suggests that they are legitimate, certified Speech Therapists when they are not.

Some schools have “Speech Language Assistants.” Speech language assistants may file paperwork and make copies. Speech language assistants are not qualified to provide speech language therapy. Schools attempt to justify the use of “speech therapy assistants” by claiming that students are “just rehearsing” material learned from the Speech Language Pathologist. In reality, many speech language assistants are providing speech therapy, not practice reinforcement.

Schools are using this back door approach to get around hiring trained, certified Speech Language Pathologists.

Yes, there is a shortage of certified Speech Language Pathologists who are willing to work in schools. There are also shortages of other service providers including Occupational Therapists and Physical Therapists. There are many reasons for these shortages including lower pay, high caseloads, and poor working conditions.

If your child receives speech language therapy, make sure the IEP states that these services will be provided by a Speech Language Pathologist (SLP).

Print Friendly

Tags:   · · · 99 Comments

Leave A Comment

99 responses so far ↓

  • 1 Autumn 02/21/15 at 8:27 am

    Some of the information in your article is misleading. Speech Language Pathology Assistants, at least in California, are required to have two years of education/training and to receive an AA degree. Often a SLPA will have a bachelors in Communication Disorders.
    You make it sound like paraprofessionals have no training, which is misleading. It sounds like you are using scare tactics to freighten parents.

  • 2 Edie 02/19/15 at 6:58 pm

    I agree with Ashley-SLP-As are providers of therapy. There are restrictions in what SLP-As can/can’t do (they cannot formally evaluate, interpret evaluation results, set goals, hold IEP meetings, change the IEP…). They do provide services under the supervision of an SLP. Typically, the SLP-A holds a BA in a speech-related field, and in many states, they must also go through a certification program and must be licensed through the state’s Department of Education. In fact, in many states the SLP-A and SLP are the ONLY people who can provide speech/language related THERAPY (CO is one of those states).

  • 3 Ashley 01/30/15 at 10:31 pm

    This article is full of wrong information. Parents, if you want acurate information please refer to ASHA’s website. In CA, SLPAs provide therapy under supervision from an SLP.

  • 4 KK 10/27/14 at 10:01 pm

    I find these comments horrific — as a parent, I know that my child needs a certified and licensed SPEECH PATHOLOGIST, not an assistant being “supervised” by a SLP. Children need the related service by a certified qualified licensed SLP. Would you want your child taught by a “Teacher – Asssitant” and not a certified licensed Teacher? NO WAY! The same goes for the Speech time — ONLY BY A CERTIFIED< LICENSED SPEECH PATHOLOGIST!!!

  • 5 B.J 06/13/14 at 12:00 am

    Your comment above regarding Speech Language Pathology Assistants (SLPAs) is totally erroneous and highly disrespectful to dedicated, hard working SLPA professionals as SLPAs can be legitimately and fully licensed (pending required academic and clinical requirements) to legally practice SL pathology in many states across the country. In fact, SLPAs are legally and appropriately licensed and supervised in many states across the country. We have effectively used SLPAs at our practice. To get the facts straight, and for more information, please see ASHA’s Scope of Practice for SLPAs (reference:

  • 6 Amanda 06/06/14 at 2:37 pm

    You should remove this article and review your facts. I have been an SLP Assistant for 7 years in Texas. I graduated from a 4 year school and have my license. I have to work under a Supervisor, but I am highly qualified and an asset to my field. This article is bias and fictitious.

  • 7 Brandi 04/09/14 at 12:39 pm

    Are you kidding me? Get your facts straight! I invite you to review the ASHA website so you stop spreading misinformation. Shame on you!

  • 8 Angela 03/27/14 at 4:44 pm

    I am a skilled SLP and have been for many years in many different settings. I have a Southern accent and find that yes, I too have been “blamed” for a child learning to speak and then having an accent. There is an article from ASHA that states that an SLP’s accent does not affect the way they do their job. Also, SLPA’s are licensed by the state, at least in Florida. These therapists have a Bachelor’s degree and are licensed, so if your child is receiving therapy from a SLP-A, who is supervised by an SLP by the way,, then they are receiving skilled therapy. Anything else other than an SLP or SLP-A would not be considered skilled Speech Therapy services.

  • 9 tara 03/23/14 at 1:35 pm

    my friend is asha certificated and is licensed but retired.. can she do private speech stating that she is licensed? there are 2 families that wants private speech outside of the network meaning paying her in cash where she does not have to report.. is that allowed? please let me know


  • 10 Wynbird 03/21/14 at 1:02 pm

    The field of Speech Pathology in the schools has been hijacked by the federal government as well as state governments who follow AND add to their laws. We have been turned into nothing more than teachers, while physicals therapists and occupational therapists have retained much of their health field identity under the label of related services. Unfortunately, when IEPs and other forms of due process red tape was created, our profession was out to lunch when they “allowed” our field to be given a special education label. We NEED a grass roots effort to protest and turn back the clock on this awful turn of events. ASHA and state organizations need to lobby and interact with their governors, representatives, and senators. When SLPs are writing behavior intervention plans and called “the speech teacher” there is a massive problem going on.

  • 11 Espy 02/20/14 at 12:44 am

    Donna was concerned about the accent of her child’s speech pathologist. I suppose she might have gotten further with the school district if she had made up a complaint about the SLP, rather than being honest about the accent being the reason for concern. I am an American SLP working in rural Australia. Lots of parents have concerns about my accent. They usually contact my supervisor with some vague complaint – and Presto- Chango! Instant Aussie speech therapist Oi Oi Oi. No worries, mate!

  • 12 Kimberlee 11/07/13 at 10:55 pm

    This isn’t true at all. I have been an SLPA for 7 years. I not only have my bachelors degree in Communication Disorders and Sciences, but I am also licensed to practice. Get your facts straight before you start posting.

  • 13 Sara CCC/SLP 10/16/13 at 2:28 pm

    Wow. You should really do your research. You are providing false information to parents. In TX, speech pathologist assistants are licensed and trained to provide speech language therapy under the supervision of a licensed speech pathologist. They hold a bachelor’s degree in communication sciences and disorders and are an asset to the field.

  • 14 Ace05 09/28/13 at 9:56 am

    More is not always better when it comes to therapy minutes per week, Due to the fact that your son will be missing something In order to receive therapy. It may be social studies or science or math or language arts but he will be missing a class. In my district, an SLP cannot pull out a student for therapy during activity (Music, Art, P.E…).

  • 15 A.E. 09/28/13 at 9:30 am

    I believe this issue is complicated. Right now I am working at a school in Florida and two of our slps have bachelor’s degrees. They deliver services, just like an Slp with a masters degree, and our school principal refers to them as “Speech Language Pathologists.” Of course, they cannot bill Medicaid, but they have two years to get into graduate school,, and they are licensed by the state of Florida.

  • 16 Jenni 08/20/13 at 9:28 pm

    I was wondering – I graduated from school in 2000 in fayette county ga. If I see I need to start speech lessons again, can the school systems do it if there is a certain speech teacher I want to use that I had in school?

  • 17 Espy 06/28/13 at 1:25 am

    3KJ in NYC said that she is not a SLP, that she does her own AX/DX/TX & the only thing that the SLP does is sign her paperwork so that the school can get Medicaid. The SLP signature is supposed to indicate that she has provided supervison on those students. If she has not, and you say that she has not, she should loose her license. I was asked to sign off an paperwork without adequate supervision when I worked for Chicago Public Schools, & I refused. We have to uphold the standards of the profession. Otherwise, we could end up like Australia. That is where I work now. We have private speech pathologists contracting with schools to “train” teacher’s aids to do speech therapy. The public schools do not hire SPs. I have seen the results of this “therapy”. It is very hard to undo.

  • 18 Jennifer 05/22/13 at 12:25 pm

    I am a speech assistant and am MORE than qualified to provide speech therapy. I am licensed by ASHA, and hold a license. Speech assistants can do almost everything an SLP can do (except for testing/diagnosis) UNDER THE DIRECT SUPERVISION OF AN SLP. You need to get your facts straight before denying the HARD work of an SLP-A.

  • 19 Christina 04/11/13 at 5:39 pm

    The information you are giving is inaccurate. Speech language pathology assistance are trained, certified to provide speech therapy under the guidance of an SLP. In fact, many SLPA have a bachelor’s degree in Communication Disorders and are working toward their Master’ s in Speech Language Pathology.

  • 20 Kathleen 04/08/13 at 9:06 pm

    3KJ- your comment was posted way back in 2012, so you are probably long gone, but you are most certainly NOT qualified to deliver speech language services with your experience and degree! If you do not have a degree in speech-language pathology, and you have indicated you do not, you are NOT QUALIFIED. if anyone hires you for slp work, they are providing so called slp services but from an unqualified practitioner. you seem miffed at the suggestion you are not qualified, but, you are not, plain and simple. If you want to work as an slp, do like i and thousands have done, pay 70 thousand or so, work like a dog, practically have mental collapse, and get your piece of paper that says you are an SLP. Otherwise, face facts. You boast you don’t act under the supervision of an SLP and you are more than qualified?? in what world! Your “school district” will be sued if a parent finds out. How would you like this… I have a degree in speech pathology and 13 years experience in schools and rehab facilities, and i am MORE than qualified to teach deaf students. Sounds wrong, and it is wrong. Same as your situation.

  • 21 deb 04/02/13 at 5:04 pm

    Does the publc school school system have to have a new prescription to do speech every yr here in new york state &if parents don’t want speech to continue not getting them one should mean they can’t bill medicaid for that service if they do it against the parents will. all i signed was an attendance sheet. never got a letter stating the iep for 2012-2013 school yr was approved by school board, so doesn’t this make it illegal to do speech or the other services?

  • 22 k j 12/10/12 at 5:43 pm

    I just wanted to clarify infrmation that is being posted to this site. I have been a speech therapist for 27 years for a public school system in New York state. I have a BA as a Teacher of the Speech and Heairng Handicapped as well as an MA in reading. I am more than qualified to administer speech therapy to students within a school setting given ny education and training. No I am not supervised by an SLP and no she does complete assessments for me- I do all my work. The only thing the SLP does is sign monthly medicaid calendars/ notes in order for my district to recieve medicaid reimbursement for speech therapy services delivered. I worrked very hard to get my education and I feel that I have more experience and training tahn some SLP. Furthermore since medicaid is a medically related funding source then why is it present in schools.

  • 23 Dawn 12/03/12 at 8:21 pm

    SLP Assistants can provide speech therapy. Each state has their own rules on the type of therapy they can provide. Can you please share your documentation that supports your statement: Speech language assistants are not qualified to provide speech language therapy. The assistants in my state complete a 2-year program, complete over 250 hours of practicum and are required to pass a state exam. Why are they not qualified? Again, please site your source.

  • 24 M 10/01/12 at 4:25 pm

    “Some schools have “Speech Language Assistants.” Speech language assistants may file paperwork and make copies. Speech language assistants are not qualified to provide speech language therapy.”

    This is completely incorrect!!! In order to be a true SLP-A your are licensed by the State Board of Health and/or Board of Educaiton. You are required to finish 2 years of college as well. You are licensed and trained to provide therapy under the supervision of an SLP. Check your informaiton before write it.

  • 25 Maggie 06/22/12 at 12:29 pm

    I’ve read through all the comments and have this input. Most folks commenting assume that if their state has SLPAs with BS degrees in Communication Science, then all states have that. Not true. Virginia has no regulation in place for SLPAs. So a school system can take your next door neighbor who wants to get a few bucks by subbing in the schools and says, “hey, you’d make a good Speech Therapist Substitute. We’ll train you for 10 extra hours in how to do speech therapy”. And that could be your child’s ‘therapist’ for years unless you look at that IEP, provider” section and see “SLP/staff” and say “whoa, what’s ‘staff” mean? This is about informed parent consent. If you like the ‘sub’ who is a HS grad who has passed a TB and criminal background check, then go for it. But if you’ve been misled, then ask for ‘compensatory therapy”.

  • 26 AJ 06/17/12 at 8:41 pm

    According to ASHA’s Guidelines for Training, Use, and Supervision of Speech-Language Pathology Assistants, which apply across all practice settings, a speech-language pathology assistant may conduct the following tasks under the supervision of a speech-language pathologist:

    Assist speech-language and hearing screenings (without interpretation)
    Assist with informal documentation as directed by the speech-language pathologist
    Follow documented treatment plans or protocols developed by the supervising speech-language pathologist
    Document patient/client performance (e.g., tallying data for the speech-language pathologist to use; preparing charts, records, and graphs) and report this information to the supervision speech-language pathologist
    Assist the speech-language pathologist during assessment of patients/clients

  • 27 Patty 05/01/12 at 8:27 pm

    I am an SLPA and I absolutely disagree with your statement that SLPAs are not qualified to provide speech and language therapy services. This is not correct in many states. I am a state certified speech language pathology assistant with a bachelor’s degree in communication sciences and disorders. I provide all therapy services for the students on my caseload. A percentage of my therapy services are supervised by an ASHA certified SLP, which is the protocol for SLPA service provision.
    Speech and language services are provided in the schools as part of IDEA, which protects the students and the parents. It isn’t right for your organization to be misrepresenting these services. It is clear that the writer of this article is not familiar with the provision of speech and language services within an educational setting.

  • 28 Margo 04/18/12 at 8:56 pm

    This article was poorly researched due to the fact that SLP-Assistants CAN provide therapy and are qualified by a majority of the states in the U.S by receiving a state license and training from an SLP AFTER attending school. I started off as an SLP-Assistant before going back for my masters and I did NOT just “file paperwork and make copies.” That is just offensive since I provided therapy to 70+ students UNDER the supervision of an SLP licensed/certified by the state & ASHA. I worked in CA, FL, and TX. If you look under ASHA’s website, SLP-Assistants CANNOT write IEP’s, do evaluations, feeding/swallowing therapy or working with the majority of the geriatric population. This article POORLY misrepresents all of the duties that an SLP-Asst. is capable/licensed to do.

  • 29 Pat 04/12/12 at 7:19 pm

    ASHA created an SLP shortage in the 90’s by making it expensive and difficult for colleges to offer the degree to more than a few students each year. I was accepted into two colleges in NYC. The first dropped the program. The second had no room in their classes, even though I was in the program. I needed to work and began to work for the city school system as a therapist based on my undergraduate work. At that time, ASHA was discouraging the use of speech therapy assistants, or people like me, who wanted to get a master’s degree. Following ASHA’s lead, universities stated in their catalogs that people working as speech therapy teachers would not be accepted in their programs and night courses were eliminated. This impacted a generation of people who wanted a career as speech therapists.

  • 30 WENDY D 03/18/12 at 8:31 pm


  • 31 Steve 02/08/12 at 4:27 pm

    There is a lot that is misleading in this article. I am an SLPA and have been working for a large school district in north Texas since 2004. I have a bachelors degree in Speech Language Pathology/Audiology as well as some graduate work. I am under the supervision of an SLP who has her CCC”s and who is ultimately responsible for the caseload. I work with approx. 50 kids, a fourth of which are autistic. In Texas an SLPA is able to conduct an ARD unless it is an initial, reviewing evaluation results, or the child has a disability in addition to speech. The supervisor must determine that the SLPA has adequate experience and is comfortable conducting the ARD. I have been lucky and had a very experienced(30yrs) SLP when I first started out. SLPA’s are perfectly capable in this discipline if they have a strong background & a good SLP.

  • 32 JessicaA 02/07/12 at 3:17 pm

    I know this is beating a dead horse, but….the comment that SLP Assistants can only make copies and do other clerical work is really offensive. I have been a licensed SLPA in Texas for over 8 years and I know I am just as good, if not better than some SLPs I have worked with. As with everything job, it’s about experience and dedication.
    I will say though, that some states vary in their laws and will not allow SLPAs to practice. I lived in the Washington D.C area for three years and could not work as an SLPA. I think all facts should be thoroughly verified before making erroneous assumptions. Let’s just hope that the author of this article was ignorant and did not check all of his/her facts, and truly doesn’t believe that SLPAs are not qualified to do Speech Therapy..

  • 33 LF 02/02/12 at 12:56 am

    As an ASHA certified SLP for the past 12 years working in the schools, I can tell you 1st of all, many of my colleagues have given up their ASHA certification b/c we are not paid to maintain it, it is very expensive, & it does not earn us any extra income having the CCC’s. However, my colleagues are still required to maintain state licensure & need to take just as many continuing ed credits. So, they are just as competent & educated as those of us who have our C’s.

    W/ regards to writing “SLP/ spStaff” on IEP’s: We do that, but b/c it allows the goals to be supported/ monitored throughout the week in class; NOT as a substitute for their regular direct minutes, but in addition to. If it were my kid, I would want as many staff on board as possible.The severe classroom I work in have incredible staff…who teach me a thing or 2 everyday

  • 34 FRANCIS G. 01/24/12 at 1:15 pm

    BRANDI: I have found the Wrightslaw website to be invaluable for the last two years. I hope that you will read further and see the good that they are trying to do. I disagree with your statement that Wrightslaw constantly bashes the public school system. I agree with your statement that not every educator is out to “put one over” on parents and kids. I can only say from my own experience that the majority of teachers and admins that I have dealt with for the last 12 years have been evasive, defensive, hostile and untruthful when it comes to the special education services my children are entitled to under federal law. I know from personal experience that the only way to truly help your child is to get past your anger. I have learned that from Wrightslaw. I too have made mistakes. Take a second look,they have a lot to offer to both sides.

  • 35 Brandi 01/23/12 at 2:46 pm

    This excerpt from your article is completely inaccurate:
    **Some schools have “Speech Language Assistants.” Speech language assistants may file paperwork and make copies. Speech language assistants are not qualified to provide speech language therapy. Schools attempt to justify the use of “speech therapy assistants” by claiming that students are “just rehearsing” material learned from the Speech Language Pathologist. In reality, many speech language assistants are providing speech therapy, not practice reinforcement.
    Schools are using this back door approach to get around hiring trained, certified Speech Language Pathologists.**
    Me: It’s bad enough that your website constantly bashes the public school system, but then you report information that isn’t even correct! Not every educator is out to “put one over” on parents and kids.

  • 36 Amanda 12/12/11 at 11:06 pm

    Just to let you know BUT Speech Language Pathology Assistants have a bachelors degree in Speech Therapy. These individuals are supervised weekly by a Speech Language Pathologist with a Master’s Degree. SLPA’s are qualified to treat any kids within a school system. This is the only setting where SLPA’s are allowed to work because by not getting the Masters degree they miss out on courses on dysphagia, aphasia, and many other disorders that you would see outside of a school system. They have had courses on articulation disorders, receptive/expressive language disorders, and management in the schools. Some schools also require bachelors degree candidates to participate in a clinical. So they are qualified. SLPA’s and SLP’s are the only people who should be doing speech therapy.

  • 37 Tracy 11/03/11 at 12:58 pm

    I am an assistant by choice in our state we have to be certified and complete 7 terms of training for SLTA and pass the state test & practicum before we can work as a SLTA.

    Before certification I was trained on how to present the speech program for specific IEP’s communicated regularly with the SLP and continue education on a weekly basis. We were never allowed to instruct a student until we mastered the skills needed.

    By choice I remain an assistant because I want to work 1:1 or small groups with kids. If I were to take a teaching position in sped ed or an SLP position I would not be so fortunate. Our state requires so much paperwork that they do not have the time with kids that I do. I know I am doing the kids I work with a service by not taking the higher position. Many of us have degrees.

  • 38 Laura 11/02/11 at 10:56 pm

    Your comment, “Speech language assistants are not qualified to provide speech language therapy” is not factual. I am a licensed SLP-A in the state of Colorado. Colorado requires SLP-A’s to have their completed bachelor’s degree in the field of speech and language pathology. On top of that requirement, SLP-A’s complete an internship of over 180 hours of speech therapy services. Of those 180 hours, a minimun of 100 MUST be direct therapy and it is supervised by a licensed SLP. Our scope of responsibilities goes MUCH farther than that of a minimum wage receptionist who files and makes copies. According to ASHA standards, an SLP-A must be observed 30% of the time in the first 90 days of therapy and 20% thereafter by a SLP. SLP-A’s take their jobs seriously seeing as we paid good money to continue our education and become certified!

  • 39 JJ 08/19/11 at 2:04 am

    As an SLPA, I find this article to be very misleading. SLPA’s are under direct supervision of an SLP. Most SLPA’s have undergraduate degrees in Speech-Language Pathology and are in the stages of going to graduate school. ASHA does require qualifications for emergency certification and also regulates what SLPA’s can and cant’ do. The services implemented regardless of all this are that of the IEP. Which is not made solely by an SLP let alone an SLPA. As stated by Kristy two years ago, we are supervised which is required by ASHA. With the every growing number of people in need of speech therapy it’s a good thing there are SLPA’s.You seem to reference Occupational Therapy and Physical Therapy as if there are not assistants for these jobs as well. When in fact there are. They are doing their jobs fine with much protest, so let us to ours.

  • 40 Anne 05/13/11 at 9:15 am

    SLP-Assistants are qualified to prepare, implement and document progress of speech therapy following their supervising SLP’s treatment plan.

  • 41 Chris 03/09/11 at 5:07 pm

    I believe the status has changed for Speech Assistants (SLPAs) they can now be licensed by a state’s department of health and actually do therapy under a SLPs supervision.

  • 42 liz 02/11/11 at 11:07 pm

    I am responding to the parents who don’t know who is providing their student’s Speech-Language therapy. I have never had a parent ask for my qualifications! I work in an Illinois public school, I have a Master;s degree, a certification from ASHA (my C;s), a license from the state of Illinois and a teaching certificate. These items are all proudly displayed in my room and I would be delighted to show them to any of my parents!

  • 43 Concerned Parent 01/24/11 at 11:51 pm

    Thank you Sharon. I will do that. I’ve never done this before so I’m unsure of the process. I met with the head of Special Education for the school and the head Speach Pathologist and they both agree to discontinue speech. Their decision is based on paper work. They have never met my son.

  • 44 Sharon L. 01/20/11 at 4:28 pm

    Concerned Parent – Send a letter that you do not agree with the results of the testing the school has done and also you need to get a prior written notice from the school that tells you in writing why they do not want to continue speech services. When you do not agree with the school’s testing you may go to an outside professional to get testing at the school’s expense and then they must consider the outside testing. This may help you to get what is best for you child.

  • 45 Concerned Parent 01/18/11 at 10:20 pm

    We moved from Texas to Florida 6 months ago. At the beginning of the school year the speech therapist recommended speech services be dropped for my son. She based her decision on paper work alone. My son has Down’s Syndrome. His speech is not unrecognisable. I understand 20 percent of what he says. I insisted on testing. We met Friday. She again recommend dicontinuation of speech after 1 40 minute session with my son. His IEP from Texas states he receive 2 30 min. sessions weekly with a speech pathologist. The principal agreed with her and assigned his teacher who is not a speech pathologist the duty of holding speech with him 2 times weekly. I am out raged. He is in desperate need of professional help. What can I do?

  • 46 LeiLaMP 12/28/10 at 12:28 pm

    I am an SLPA with 8 yrs of experience, this article is not only misleading but should be taken down! there is already alot of informed professionals stating the right facts and still this erroneous article stands.With my yrs of experience I’ve worked with supervisors with a MS-CCC that know LESS than me when it comes to treatment.At least in Puerto Rico the main difference between a BS-SLPA and a MS or MA-SLP,CCC is that they asses and diagnose, while the SLPA strictly does the treatment guided by the POC which is written by the SLP that assesd the child. Here in PR we all have a bar exam to get licensed by the state. And although this is not my case, some SLPA’s leave to the US and might have an accent,but I can assure you that they are outstanding when it comes to tx. & in clinical settings that are sensitive to multicultural population.

  • 47 Tara 10/21/10 at 8:30 pm

    I am a licensed SLPA in MA. I have a Bachelors of Science degree in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology. I can provide direct treatment to students, as long as I follow their IEP, and have a certain amount of supervision by the SLP! I can also test students, without interpreting results. I have been trained in my field. I am very competent to do my job well. SLPA’s take some work off the shoulder’s of SLP’s in order for them to do assesments, and make TX plans! Please get your facts right!

  • 48 2467CMILLER 10/18/10 at 5:40 pm

    Everyone knows this all comes down to money right? ASHA and private/healthcare SLP’s didn’t like the fact that MA (medical access) funds could be used for school-based services by qualified personnel, so they threw a tantrum and are pushing lawmakers to make standards so rigorous that you literally CANNOT work without a masters. I couldnt afford to go on, and even though I’m dedicated and love the profession, I was pushed out of it. ASHA hates that private business is lost due to students getting services in the schools. By doing this, Schools can’t attract employees, can’t provide services and therefore cannot abide by FAPE.

  • 49 Dee 10/18/10 at 12:12 pm

    Why school districts utilize SLPAs = not enough SLPs to go around! College grad programs can’t produce enough SLPs to match the demand. Approximately 20 grad students are admitted to SLP program ONCE a year (in CA)! However, approx. 40 students graduate from a BS/BA program in Speech Pathology each Spring & Fall! Even if you graduate with 4.0 gpa, chances of getting into grad program to get Masters is SLIM! So what BA/BS graduates in speech pathology do when can’t get into grad school is get SLP Assistant (SLPA) certificate. Most are VERY qualified to work with your children. SLPAs follow plan set up by supervising SLP. I would rather have MORE speech each week for my child from an SLPA than less since SLP too busy with caseload! Districts too broke to hire enough SLPs. Meet your school’s SLPA to form your own OPINION before you say NO!

  • 50 ana 07/18/10 at 1:12 am

    How can I verify if my son’s the speech patholigist is certified when she does not sign any of my son’s paperwork?

  • 51 Arlene 07/17/10 at 9:43 pm

    Yes I agree that parents should be aware of what the IEP states as to who is providing Speech services to their child.. I have to defend my position as a SLPA or Speech/language Pathology Asst. I have recieved an Assoc. of Science degree , and am certified by the state of Calif. to ( under the supervision of an SLP) provide therapy to a student/client. By know means should a parent be anxious or concerned that their child is not being provided with the best service -of course if their are concerns please investigate.

  • 52 Karen 07/02/10 at 2:24 am

    I have also seen many SLPs with CCCs who are clueless. This often stems from inadequate clinic rotations in graduate school and clinical supervisors in graduate school who have nothing in the way of knowledge or skill to pass onto a student. I also know a woman with her MS, CCC-SLP who has NEVER READ A BOOK IN HER LIFE. With that degree she can tell people she is a literacy expert. If you look at the SLP programs, some have department chairs who are not even SLPs themselves. There is a lot of attitude in SLP field. It’s not rocket science. The clinical fellowship year is NOT LIKE AN MD’S RESIDENCY! There is often no contact at all with the supervising SLP and the CFY student is left to their own devices. Once an SLP gets those C’s, they can say anything they like about their education and training, and it may not be true.

  • 53 Lisa 06/03/10 at 10:38 pm

    In response to Kim, if you are already licensed as an SLPA in Illinois, google provider connections to get to the site that provides info on getting credentialed for EI. You need to submit to backgroung checks & fingerprinting and do some EI training to get a temporary credential. Then you need to do 240 hrs in EI and have the hours documented to get a permanent credential. renew every 3 years and get CE’s and you’re set! I’ve been an EI SLPA for 3 years now and I love it. Good luck

  • 54 Kim 06/01/10 at 7:10 pm

    Hi, I am from Illinois and I was wondering how did you go about getting your licence to work in EI.

  • 55 Adana 05/02/10 at 8:58 pm

    Since my daughter is on the autism spectrum she needs another evaluation done before she turns six years old. I have met the education psychologist from the co-op (since she is in a charter school) and he is very obnoxious and rude. I prefer to have someone else perform her evaluation. I have expressed my concerns to the consultant and she states that there is no one else to do the evaluation since this is a co-op. I don’t understand this. The consultant is stating that this psychologist is the only one in this “cooperative” that supposedly serves 4 or 5 charter schools. I asked what would happen if he ever got sick and she stated that’s never happened. My concern is his attitude and his ability to be objective when performing an evaluation on my daughter as important as this one is.

  • 56 Adana 05/02/10 at 8:54 pm

    My daughter’s school is a charter school and receives her special education services through a co-op with approx. 4 or 5 other charter schools in the area. The special education consultant has explained to me that all the charter schools share the same speech and occupational therapists. I have had a hard time verifying the occupational therapist actually comes to the school to see my daughter. She doesn’t place any paperwork in my daughter’s backpack as requested after each visit. She just emails me and tells me what a great session she had with my daughter. When I ask my kindergarten-aged child (5 years old) if someone has come to work with her, she doesn’t know who or what I’m talking about.

  • 57 Thomas 04/29/10 at 11:28 am

    This article is not being enirely accurate. In Pennsylvania, you can work as an SLP under an emergency certification until you are done grad school. This means that you need to have a bachelor’s in speech language pathology, but you can begin working in the school system while in grad school.

    Trust me, over the years I’ve seen pleny of SLP’s with their CCC’s who have NO CLUE what they’re doing! And I’ve also seen those working with emergency cert.’s providing AMAZING services to children! DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

  • 58 DeAnn 04/05/10 at 1:05 am

    I am a Speech Therapy Assistant, and I just wanted to let you know that this article is misleading parents to believe that assistants can only file paper. Speech assistants are trained and certified in the state of AZ to provide therapy to students. They have finished a two year program and provided 100 clinical hours before they are able to provide therapy. They can not diagnose, but they can and do provide valuable therapy to help children with special needs. I fear that this article is unnecessarily scaring parents with the untruths expressed. My daughter was on a waiting list for 3 years for Speech Therapy because of the shortage of therapists in our area. Wouldn’t it have been better for her to have recieved therapy from an assistant, rather than no one at all?

  • 59 Lisa 03/25/10 at 7:06 pm

    This is so not true! I am a licensed SLPA and I do have a degree and am licensed by the state of Illinois in addition to being EI credentialed by the state’s Early Intervention Program. I have submitted to background checks and fingerprinting as required by the state for all provider’s of special education services. I did an extensive clinical training in addition to my college course work and have 3+ years of experience working with children providing speech services. I think you will find this is true for many SLPA’s. You should check with your state’s requirements before you make such inaccurate assumptions.

  • 60 Donna 03/15/10 at 9:57 pm

    I was outraged when i met my son’s speech therapist during an iep meeting to find that the speech therapist has a heavy accent and working with my son who has autism! I find this highly inapropriate. When i made my concerns clear to the school district, they wrote me a letter and said that I shouldnt discriminate against her because of her accent, that she is a highly qualified therapist! To me, this is like an oxy moron! Now what should I do???

  • 61 B 01/24/10 at 7:28 pm

    You are right to be careful about the wording used in the IEP, but in many states, an SLPA license has been enacted and they pass a test to demonstrate professional capabilities. SLPA’s must have at least a Bachelor’s degrees and are allowed to provide speech therapy under the supervision of a licensed Speech Pathologist. In fact, many universities are offering Bachelor’s degree programs designed to cater to the needs of Speech and Language Assistants and certifications are available upon completion. I suggest you verify your information before deciding that 4 year degrees only qualify a person to “file paperwork and make copies”.

  • 62 Shannon 01/20/10 at 2:38 pm

    I want to make a slight correction in the above article. I am a licensed Speech Language Pathology Assistant. I attended school for years to get my degree and be able to apply for a state license as a Speech Language Pathology Assistant. I also had to complete hundreds of hours of clinical fieldwork under the direct supervision of a Speech Language Pathologist. SLPAs are licensed and can provide therapy to clients, patients, and students. Of course we do have a supervising SLP that would do the assessments, come up with the therapy plan, go to the IEP, etc, but the SLPA can implement therapy, collect, data and take notes. The SLPA can be alone as long as the SLP is available for contact via phone. An Aide is different. An aide would get paid less and would not ever be able to be alone with a client, patient, or student. They would be ones who could file papers and do various clerical work, help gather materials, etc, but can not provide therapy.

  • 63 LISA 10/20/09 at 6:18 pm

    I am currently in disagreement with my school district. My son has been diagnosed with severe apraxia of speech since the age of 2 and was in early intervention since the age of 1. Now he is 3 and just started special education preschool. I do not agree with the related services the school offered. He is receiving PT 1x a week for 30 min in a group setting, OT 2x a week for 30 mins also in a group, and speech 4x a week (3 in group and 1 individual). I only received more than normal 2x a week of speech, bc I came to that IEP meeting prepared and did my homework! I hired an advocate to help me fight for my son’s needs! He also has other diagnoses but dealing with speech, my son needs an SLP which the school has none. They are called speech language specialist. When my son was in EI, he was receiving speech 3x a week ind. for an hour.

  • 64 Nate 10/18/09 at 12:36 pm

    This article is a bit misleading for parents and can possibly set them up for failure. IDEA allows trained and certified assistants to provide speech therapy. The last sentence in this article presumes all kids will be guided only by a SLP. In 90% of schools, this simply will not happen. Instead, demand that your school provides the name and credentials of any assistant working under the SLP and check your state laws regarding “related services” to verify that certified assistants are allowed. IDEA allows the states to decide if SLPs can use certified assistants. Get geared up and then go after the school if they are providing inadequate services. If they are, demand that only the SLP provide the speech therapy until they can hire real assistants.

  • 65 Kaye 09/10/09 at 5:12 pm

    At our last district, there was a big distinction made about Speech therapy vs Language therapy. Apparently our child’s teacher was allowed to provide services if it stated Language Therapy and the if the goals did not involve voice, articulation or fluency. If a child is non-verbal and using PECS, it is very important to double check to see exactly what type of therapy is listed in your IEP. (We won compensatory because though it stated Language, the goals included articulation for emerging speech).

    We play it safe now and make sure it’s listed as individual or group, length of time, place of services and that services will be provided by an SLP.

  • 66 Kathleen 09/10/09 at 11:33 am

    Speech-language pathology assistants are licensed in the state of Texas and are required to not only maintain their license, but also be supervised by either an ASHA certified SLP or state licensed SLP. They typically hold Bachelors degrees in speech or they have had intensive training prior to obtaining their licenses. In Texas, the supervisor is responsible for the caseload. There are stringent guidelines in this state according to ASHA standards. The use of assistants varies from state-to-state. I am an ASHA certified SLP and have supervised many assistants. I am continually impressed with their work and am very aware of the students on their caseloads because they are MY responsibility. Please make sure the information you are giving is accurate.

  • 67 Dania 08/24/09 at 1:18 pm

    Thank you to all of the Speech Language Pathologists that posted accurate information about our credentials (Bachelor Level SLPs). I can speak about FL… You need to get a license to practice as a Bachelor Degree level Speech Language Pathologist and within 2 years of employment we need to be enrolled in a Masters Degree program in order to continue our employment in the schools. Once one gets the Masters Degree you start your Clinical Fellowship Year (just like the Physicians year of residency) and get the clinical hours and other requirements needed to comply with the certificate of clinical competency (CCC). If you go to a clinic you will be most likely seen by a P.A. which stands for Phisician’s Assistant, not a Ph.D. This professional has a Bachelors Degree in P.A. and is qualified to see patients, just like a SLPA (SLP Bachelors).

  • 68 Jane 07/31/09 at 8:35 am

    I graduated in 2008 with a BS in Communication Disorders. In school, I completed 30 hours of clinical observation and assisted with therapy. My education included hours of course work in audiology and communication disorders.

    I can be hired as an SLPA….and I CAN provide therapy. I DO have to be supervised by an SLP.

    Get your facts straight. You are giving parents incorrect information and making my job harder. You make it sound as though SLPAs are glorified secretaries.

  • 69 Patrica 07/29/09 at 9:16 pm

    My 13 year old son is diagnosed PDD-nos and ADHD. He makes up for so much b/c of his intellectual ability. However, he is made fun of and has a difficult time with his peers. We began last year w/ an IEP in place and a TSS. Great Beginning. By Dec. things started to turn. Another student w/ special needs began annoying and saying inappropriate things to our son. My son became aggressive towards this child. Nothing was done. I asked for mediation w/ the parents. Nothing was done. My son finally threatened this child. The child’s parents threatened to call the police. I contacted an educational Atty. We feel a private educate is in order. We also feel that his resource room Language Arts does not match his intellectual ability. They want to do the same for Middle School. Do we have a case? Tired of the wrong label. Pat

  • 70 judy 07/28/09 at 7:13 pm

    What about aac? My child uses a dynavox V-had to pull teeth to get support. Went to due process-sought reimbursement-lost, but won compensatory speech services. The slp didn’t provide the consults because she wasn’t comfy with the device and she didn’t get along with the aac consultant!
    Now we have to return to the district. Esy going horribly. The slp they committed to knowing what to do- wrote me a letter saying she is no aac expert- the district thinks 1 training is complying with aac support.

    If he has a device doesn’t he get a provider that knows what she is doing? He had an aac group with another child at the private placement- I want one at the district too! If he was deaf- he’d have a deaf group-My distr is the largest in state-no other aac user. He is diagnosed with DD (Down’s) and severe apraxia of speech.

  • 71 Melissa 07/16/09 at 4:17 pm

    I would like to know how parents can verify the certification of a speech therapist in a school district? Is it only by asking the therapist / school district itself or is there a website where I could type in the name of the therapist to check her credentials?

    I would also like to know if there are any rights for parents when a school district has switched speech therapists three times in one year and then highers a 20 year veteran school teacher (with some apparent speech experience…so I am told) who will probably retire some time soon? I know it is often difficult to higher for this position, but come on…this affects my son who has great needs in this area. With staff revolving so frequently and this is only his first year in the program, What rights do I have to help my son? He has autism and speech is key in his therapy.

  • 72 Valorie 06/23/09 at 1:05 pm

    We are new to the special ed programs. Our 5 year old son has Down Syndrome and recently had open heart surgery. He will be going to “kindergarten” in August. He had been receiving services at a special preschool–not as much as we had requested–we were pretty much ignored. They did quit “speech group” as we didn’t feel he was learning anything and was in the group for up to 45 min. at a time at 3-4 years of age. We wanted them to increase his time of 2×20 min./week. We were told we would have to wait until school starts and discuss it with the SLP at the new school. He was denied services over the Summer. Any ideas on how to increase his time with out causing a problem? Thank you for any ideas/help. (P.S. I also work for the district–this will be my second year.)

  • 73 Susan 06/23/09 at 10:42 am

    I earned my BA in speech and hearing science from The Ohio State University. Unfortuanetly, the field of Communication Sciences and Disorders is a highly competitive field and not all students are immediately admitted to a masters program. This was the case for me and becoming an assistant is my best way to continue on to graduate school. I think assistants are a great asset and can help with the SLPs caseload. If you look on ASHA’s website, there are regulations for assitants.
    I think this a great way for potential SLPs to gain real world experience before entering graduate school.

  • 74 Nora 05/20/09 at 3:17 pm

    Just to add information to Robbie. In some states for 2-4 years after you graduate with your BS/BA you are considered an SLP as long as you are attempting to enroll in a Master’s program. In AZ after this time period you are considered a speech language technician but still perform the same duties if you have the SLT certification. I worked as an SLPA for 6 years before entering grad school and on several occasion had to train the new “SLP” or correct their mistakes so that the IEPs are in complience. When I was cleaning up the mess was I less qualified? To make a correction to the article SLPAs/SLPPs ARE QUALIFIED to provide direct therapy in the school system.

  • 75 Nora 05/20/09 at 3:08 pm

    A lot of people need to get their information straight before they pass it on to parents. In many states direct therapy can be provided by an SLPA/SLPP under the supervision of an SLP. SLPA’s and SLPP’s must have a BS/BA in speech pathology or communication disorders to be employed. At most universities ungraduate students participate in clinicals and actually provide therapy as a part of their program. So in fact when they graduate they are knowledgeable and can provide direct therapy. In most cases an SLPA has more experience and is a better therapist than a Master level clinician. Its sad that COTAs and PTAs have less education and get more respect from their superiors than SLPAs. I don’t understand why a person can’t work in the educational field with a BS/BA and not be looked at as unqualified or underqualified.

  • 76 Donna 05/07/09 at 1:23 pm

    In New York State, speech teachers must be supervised by licensed speech therapists. This occurred about 6 years ago when Medicaid decided that speech teachers were not qualified to be giving speech therapy. So New York schools now have speech therapists whose jobs are to monitor the speech teachers and sit in on their lessons as well as sign the reports. Does anyone know if Medicaid rules state how much contact time with a student is a session-for instance if a student has three times a week for 30 minutes. If the session lasts for 20 minutes is that considered a session??

  • 77 Robbie 03/28/09 at 11:11 am

    Speech therapy can be provided by SLP assistants. SLP assistants are supervised by Certified SLPs. They can do more than make copies and do paperwork. In fact, if they have more than 5 years experience they may even write I.E.P.s and be the voting member of the ARD committee. Or at least, that’s what we do in Texas.

  • 78 debra 03/17/09 at 1:55 am

    I am a nurse who has been taking care of a child on ventilator support, j-g tube and is in a wc. He is medically fragile but does attend school 3 hrs a day 5 days a week. He is receiving minimal education no interaction or plan with teachers, no homework. He get 45minutes with a parapro during instruction for the day. His speech consists of a speech asst sitting next to him in science class. We have alot of down time were we are doing nothing and must go to special ed at the end of the day for 30 minutes where the child is put on a computer by the special ed teacher and she sits at her desk on hers. Someone decided he couldn’t learn and is their for socialization. Now they want to extend his hours to accomodate a child with behaviors who came last month. The same thing happened last year and he got so ill we lasted about 2 weeks. HELP

  • 79 Raymond 03/15/09 at 10:32 am

    Unfortunately, it really doesn’t matter what ASHA standards are unless your State Dept. of Ed. incorporated them into it’s certification requirements. What I found out, and the problem here in Arizona is that IDEA allows the SDE to create the certification requirements for related service providers, and they do not have to correspond with ASHA requirements. So now my son with an ASD, has an SLP, with nothing more than a BA, and it is completely within the law in this State.
    I urge everyone to check the certification requirements of your SDE regarding SLP’s, and then check what certification your childs SLP has, you may be in for a shock. This is not to say you cannot get an ASHA certified SLP with their CCC’s on your child’s IEP, you just have to go about it a different way.
    Pam, Pete: I could sure use some help/advice/counsel.

  • 80 Tom 03/11/09 at 10:39 pm

    My son’s IEP meeting was on Mar. 10, 09.
    On the Speech and language section, it is said that speech and language for my son would be provided by Speech-Language pathologist and/or Speech language Pathologist Assisstant, under the supervision of the Speech language Pathologist.

    I politely raised my broken English voice and humbly said that I needed our district and team members to reconsider this offer because of my concern regarding the qualification.
    The program supervisor ‘s face became red but I tried to save his face by saying that I learn that some parents in the Viet community and I was very sincere when brought up this issue.
    I didn’t sign the IEP.
    The supervisor program was trying to be fair to me and said he would revise it. He friendly tapped me on the shoulder and asked: “Who did your learn that from?”
    I smiled.

  • 81 Chantel 02/25/09 at 2:36 pm

    In California, we do have licensed Speech-Language Pathology Assistants (SLP-As) who are qualified to work with students for direct therapy services in the public schools and clinical settings. They do have a supervising SLP. They are a wonderful asset to the field. They have BA or BS degress in Communicative Distorders or Speech Pathology, and most are working towards their Master’s Degree. SLPs often have high caseloads in the school setting, and would not be able to effectively do their jobs without the professional assistance of a SLP-A.

  • 82 cathy 02/15/09 at 7:53 am

    I am curious about provision by an SLP clinician. What are the regulations on “interns” and students in training. It is done across the board with psychologists, SLP, OT and Teachers. However I can’t seem to find any regulations. I wonder also if then the direct related service may need to be documented as consult in the IEP?

  • 83 Barbaralyn 02/10/09 at 10:26 am

    I find it interesting that this article will use ASHA as a source of information when it suits the assertions of the article. However, research should be more thorough in the area of SLP assistants (SLPAs). According to the ASHA guidelines in their Guidelines for the Training, Use, and Supervision of Speech-Language Pathology Assistants it states “Provided that the training, supervision, and planning are appropriate …, the following tasks may be delegated to a speech-language pathology assistant: (c) follow documented treatment plans or protocols developed by the supervising speech-language pathologist”. ASHA clearly rejects the assertion that SLPAs are inappropriate to provide direct intervention. How often a one on one Assistant (less trained than an SLPA) is requested for a child yet parents resist service provision by SLPAs.

  • 84 J N 02/09/09 at 10:33 pm

    John, thanks for the clarification. That sounds exactly like what is happening. My question then is, if she hasn’t gotten this certification yet, is she a licensed speech-language pathologist like this article says she needs to be? I thought it was really odd that they tried to sneak the change from “speech language pathologist” to “speech language clinician” past us, which makes me wonder if they were doing something wrong and trying to cover it up.

  • 85 John 02/09/09 at 8:58 pm

    Hello again. I was re-reading my response and I just wanted to let everyone know that I think that this is a topic of great importance that should be clear and understandable and it is, unfortunately, muddy and confusing. I also don’t like the character limit…so I apologize if I seemed short in my last reply, I had to count characters.
    As to JN’s statement, the person providing the service is probably in their CFY (Clinical Fellowship Year), the post-Master’s training we all must receive before we can get our CCC (Certificate of Clinical Competence). Please go ahead and ask your child’s clinician if this is so and how often their CFY supervisor visits…also have them explain their particular CFY experience, they should be happy to tell you about it…All CCC-SLP’s since the 70’s must have a CFY period.

  • 86 J N 02/09/09 at 3:01 pm

    In Florida, we noticed our child’s IEP was changed to read “speech language clinician” instead of “speech language pahtologist.” The actual therapist does have a masters but is getting a ccc(?) certificiation. The school came back and said that having a masters makes you a speech language pathologist in Florida. Is that right or are they playing loose with the terminology?

  • 87 John 02/08/09 at 4:26 pm

    As with most anything to do with Special Ed. and SLP services, it depends on the state in which you live. In NH, and many other states, there is a recognized SLPA (assistant) education program, however no credentialing/licensing for it yet. ASHA does have guidelines for SLPA, but they are not followed everywhere. As far as group vs. 1:1, the reasons for it should be explained to you by the SLP, there are reasons for each type of therapy (1:1 isn’t always necessary or beneficial, depending on the child’s needs). Also IFSP and IEP documentation require the setting of the therapy (group, individual, consult). If it’s not clear on the document, demand it. Jessica’s points as to educational/academic impact and need are spot on.
    My main difficulty with the article is that seems that some research is lacking. Get the facts straight.

  • 88 Jessica 02/04/09 at 11:04 pm

    It should also be considered that the amount of service time given in a public school setting is based on what will make the child functional in the academic setting. Many speech pathologists would love to spend more time with the children; the fact of the matter is public school allows speech therapy to be provided to those that show a deficit in the area of speech/language that effects their academic performance. The main job of the slp is to assist the child in becoming successful/ functional within the realm of speech and language. I advise many parents to seek outside speech therapy if they are truly concerned about the speech/language development of the child. Speech/language can look very different outside of the academic setting.

  • 89 Wrightslaw 02/04/09 at 8:22 pm

    Kristy – Can you tell us exactly where you got this information – that “Speech and language pathology assistants are able to provide therapy services as delineated by the supervising speech and language therapist.”

    SLPs express concerns about the practice of allowing untrained or inadequately trained people to provide “speech language therapy.” This post is based on conversations and other communications with a licensed SLP. In my experience, this practice varies by school district and state. ~ Pam

  • 90 Chuck 02/04/09 at 5:25 pm

    Kristy, I could not remember that TX uses the term SLP assistants. I did say that certain staff could do certain activities & to check with the state SLP licensing agency. That agency works with ASHA in most states. So I do not see that I gave any incorrect information.

  • 91 Kristy 02/04/09 at 2:46 pm

    Speech and language pathology assistants are able to provide therapy services as delineated by the supervising speech and language therapist. You might want to check with ASHA before you give parents incorrect information.

  • 92 Chuck 02/03/09 at 2:47 pm

    It is important to study your state’s regulations on speech services. You may need to review the education agency’s rules & those of the speech pathology licensing board.
    In TX when OSEP made us tighten up the qualifications of SLP’s, TX grandfathered all speech therapists with only a BA degree. They are allowed to do provision of speech services, but not speech assessments & reports. In some cases these individuals have more experience & knowledge than SLP’s. As mentioned some schools have gone to using paraprofessionals (i.e. aides) to provide some services.

    As stated, it is important to monitor the language used & understand the qualifications of the person being used. As with any profession, some individuals have more experience & knowledge of certain conditions than others. So ask about experience also.

  • 93 michele 02/02/09 at 10:31 pm

    We had an SLP who was not ASHA certified and could not help my daughter who has Apraxia of Speech. She had never even heard of it. Our school Speech does not help at all and in one case the little girl started to stutter at the age of 5, since she started working with someone who has no apraxia experience.

  • 94 Greg 02/02/09 at 10:19 am

    To assist consumers in finding an speech-language pathologist or audiologist in their local area, the American-Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) has a free referral service entitled ProSearch. By going to ProSearch at consumers can type in their zip code or city and state and find an speech-language pathologist or audiologist who works close by. Consumers can also call ASHA’s toll-free number 1-800-638-Talk (8255).

  • 95 Casdok 02/01/09 at 6:13 am

    Its the same over here in the UK.

  • 96 Wrightslaw 01/31/09 at 8:10 pm

    Deanna: In this article, a Speech Language Pathologist warns parents that schools often cut corners and may not provide the therapy you think your child is receiving. You thought your child was receiving 1:1 speech therapy, then discovered that he was receiving “group speech.”

    The educational requirements for a “paraprofessional” are two years of college OR a high school degree and passing a basic skills test. There is no requirement that a paraprofessional have any training in speech language therapy. IMO, speech therapy needs to be provided by a professional trained in that area.

  • 97 Misty 01/31/09 at 5:04 pm

    What about a speech and language therapist? my son has a speech and language therapist he sees 2x a week for expressive and receptive language disorder. Do you think that is enough? He is also hearing impaired with high frequency sensorineuron hearing loss and wears hearling aids.

  • 98 KC 01/30/09 at 2:43 pm

    Is this true for all states. Only an SLP and not an SLP-Asst. can provide Speech Therapy Service in a Texas Public School??

  • 99 Deanna 01/29/09 at 11:45 am

    My son receives ST. He receives 120min/week. I found that it was also important to know how the service will be provided. For example, group speech, 1-to1 speech. He was receiving mostly group speech until I requested that be changed.

    Question: Is it important to have a Speech Pathologist institute the therapy vs a paraprofessional? I am confused. I understand that one has a Masters and the other a BS. But does it make a difference in the actual implementation of services if the Speech Pathologist is overseeing? My son receives his therapy from a paraprofessional.