The Wrightslaw Way

to Special Education Law and Advocacy

The Wrightslaw Way random header image

Meeting a Child’s Unique Needs

by Pam Wright

Yesterday I received a great question from a parent in PA . After I responded, I was so pleased to hear her news – I’ve posted it below.

Here’s her question.

“Is it legal for a school to say that a special education student who is promoted to 9th grade, MUST do the 9th grade curriculum even if the year before they were doing 3rd grade curriculum?”

My answer was a definite NO. I had a question of my own.

“Why is a 9th grader still functioning at a 3rd grade level?”

The school is responsible for providing the child with an education that is tailored to his unique needs and prepares him for further education, employment and independent living. I don’t know enough about the facts in your case to comment specifically.

The U. S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit just issued a ruling on this issue in March. If you are dealing with this issue, you need to know more about legal rights of children and their parents and the school’s legal responsibilities.

This article is about a boy who has dyslexia and was functioning academically at the 3rd grade level. Because the family was advocating for him, the school retaliated by placing him in the 10th grade, with no support or assistance –

The Appeals Court ordered the school to pay four years of compensatory education in a private special education program so he could receive the educational help he should have received earlier and that he needed to graduate from high school. The Court of Appeals affirmed the decision in March 2008:


The following day I heard from her again.

“Thank you for getting back to me. My daughter (adopted) has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and a plethora of learning disabilities that fall under that spectrum. We were told she would never read, but she is and she’s loving it! We attribute her success to the public cyber charter school in which she is enrolled and to the opportunity for quality one on one instruction and extremely high quality and quantity of support services they provide for her. She is doing far better than the doctors and other experts ever thought she would be able to do. We’ll get to 9th grade work one day at her own pace.”

This was the best news I’d heard all day.

This parent has found what her daughter needs and is seeing that she gets it. She didn’t accept the idea that her child was unable to learn. Her daughter just learns differently and needs high quality instruction.

Print Friendly

Tags:   · · · 11 Comments

Leave a Reply

11 Comments on "Meeting a Child’s Unique Needs"

Sharon L.

It sounds like a self contained classroom is more restrictive than some help in the main classroom. If the school refuses a legitimate request they must put that request in writing in a prior written notice. I am surprised they have not done this yet. Many times when I have asked for prior written notice the school will renegotiate, sometimes not. IF this helps resolve the problem great, if not you may need to seek help from an advocate or attorney.


We have an IEP coming up where the school is putting our son into a self-contained program against our wishes. He has been in the mainstream for two years, and he is entering the 3rd grade. He has ASD and ADHD. We want para assistance in the classroom for a part of the day. They say that’s like a 1-on-1. We say it isn’t a 1-on-1 because he doesn’t need a person solo–the person can help others, and only needs to be part time with him to redirect and assist now and then. They also say that a 1-o-one is the “most restrictive”, even over a self contained packaged program. Not true? He makes noises from time to time and distracts others, but he is not violent or mean. They describe him as a sweet kid–we agree on that point. Help! what can we do?

Sharon L.

Trudy, The school is supposed to provide your child with FAPE (Free appropriate public education). You should not have to hire an outside tutor however you can use this professional in your favor. Your tutor can put together a recommendation to help you with the school to get what you need. Also can request in writing a multifactored evaluation to see where you child is in terms of progress and compare it to the last evaluation. You may request these evaluations once a year. IT does not have to wait 3 years. If you don’t agree with the results you may request an outside evaluation at public expense and the school must consider the recommendations of the outside evaluation.