George Mason University
Johnson Center Dewberry Hall
4400 University Drive
Fairfax, VA 22030
(Note: A color pdf map of the campus is at:
The Johnson Center is building #28 in grid E4. The Parking Deck, Mason Pond, is building #39 in grid D4. You might want to print the map and take it with you.)
This one-day, five hour program about IEPs will focus on:
- The IEP statute, Regulations, and Commentary to the regulations
- Recent IEP caselaw
- Drafting of SMART IEPs
You will learn:
- Legislative history and how IEPs have evolved
- How to draft IEPs based on the unique needs of a child.
- What is and what is not permissible in IEPs.
- How to create a teamwork relationship with parents and school staff so that the child benefits.
programs are designed to meet the needs of parents, educators, health care
providers, advocates and attorneys who represent children with disabilities regarding
special education. The program is not disability specific.
||Registration and Continental Breakfast
- Educational Goals and Objectives Prior to the Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975.
- IDEA Legislative
History relating to IEPs and Management by Objectives (MBO)
- 20 USC 1414(d) - The IEP statute
- 34 CFR 300.320 - 328 - The IEP special education regulations.
- The US Dept of Education's "Commentary" about the regulations.
- Recent legal cases about IEPs
- From the 1983's "A Nation at Risk" to No Child Left Behind's application to IEPs.
Tests and Measurements, the Bell Curve, Standard Scores, Scale Scores,
% ranks, Grade Equivalent, Age Equivalent and their use in drafting
- SMART IEPs
- Action words
- Time specific
* Couples receive one set of materials.
On or Before
October 21, 2011
Click here to register online.
Download the printable registration form.
programs often fill up early - don't miss out!
here for directions to the venue.
Parking will cost $12 at the Mason Pond Parking Deck. There is a GMU CUE bus that provides transportation from Vienna Metro (orange line) to Campus. Find out more.
Dulles International (IAD)
miles to venue)
Reagan National Airport (DCA)
20 miles to venue)
here for local accommodations.
Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities so people can get reliable
information and support.
The State Yellow
Pages has many useful resources - evaluators, educational consultants, academic
tutors, support groups, grassroots organizations, advocates, attorneys and others
who help parents get services for their children.
If you provide a service,
sign up to be listed on the Yellow
Pages for Kids with Disabilities - this is a free service from Wrightslaw.
Wrightslaw Seminars & Training