Print this page
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference
with Pete Wright, Esq.
* * * * * SOLD OUT! * * * * *
Wednesday, September 18, 2019
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference, a Wrightslaw training program featuring Pete Wright, Esq., is being sponsored by Education for Parents of Indian Children with Special Needs - EPICS.
This is a post-conference to the 2019 Native American Conference on Special Education held September 16-17, 2019.
The program will be held at:
Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town
800 Rio Grande Boulevard Northwest
Albuquerque, NM 87104
One-day special education law and advocacy programs focus on four areas:
Wrightslaw programs are designed to meet the needs of parents, educators, health care providers, advocates and attorneys who represent children with disabilities regarding special education. The program is not disability specific.
- special education law, rights and responsibilities
- tests and measurements to measure progress & regression
- SMART IEPs
- introduction to tactics & strategies for effective advocacy
- IDEA History, Book Overview
- Section 1400 Findings, Purpose
- Section 1401 Definitions: Disability, Special Education, Related Services, LD, etc.
Section 1412 ESY, Child Find, LRE, Private Placements
- Understanding Test Data with the Bell Curve
Section 1414 Evaluations and IEPs
- Section 1415 Due Process, Rules of Procedure, Discipline
- Section 504, ADA, FERPA, ESSA, OCR, USDOJ
- Legal Research - how to find cases
- Endrew F. + Fry SCOTUS and other recent cases
From Emotions to Advocacy
- Developing the Master Plan
- Knowing the Rules of the Game
- Dealing with Conflict
- Crisis, Emergency, Help
- Organization of the File
- SMART IEPs
- Tactics and Strategies
- The Letter to the Stranger
- 5 Ws + H + E
- Meeting Strategies
Questions and Answers
Conference fee includes breakfast, lunch, a Wrightslaw highlighter pen and the three Wrightslaw books which retail for $62.85 - Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition, Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Edition, and Wrightslaw: All About IEPs.
Click here to register online.
Questions? Contact the sponsors by telephone 505-767-6630 or by email kwoody |at| epicsnm.org.
Wrightslaw programs often fill up early - don't miss out!
Logistics, Directions and Accommodations
Map and directions to the Hotel Albuquerque at Old Town.
Parking is free at the venue.
Albuquerque International Sunport (ABQ)
(approximately 8 miles to venue)
Click here for a list of hotels.
To Wrightslaw Seminars & Training
Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities
the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities so people can get reliable information and support.
The State Yellow Pages has many useful resources - evaluators, educational consultants, academic tutors, support groups, grassroots organizations, advocates, attorneys and others who help parents get services for their children.
If you provide a service, sign up to be listed on the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities - this is a free service from Wrightslaw.
Wrightslaw Seminars & Training