Life After High School: Self-Advocacy
Download Your Summer School Certificate

Yellow Pages for Kids    l   Blog   l    Law   l    Advocacy    l  Training   l     Store    l  Subscribe   l    Sitemap   l   Contact Us

In This Issue ...

ISSN: 1538-320
August 20, 2019

Pete Wright presents a Wrightslaw Special Education Law & Advocacy Training ConferenceSpecial Education Law & Advocacy Training Schedule

Sep 12 - York, SC

Sep 18 - Albuquerque, NM

Oct 4-5 - Wakefield, MA

Oct 24 - BWI Airport, MD

Nov 3 - Ann Arbor, MI

Sign up FREE Today!

Wrightslaw on FacebookWrightslaw on TwitterWrightslaw YouTube Channel

Read previous issues

Summer School Series

Wrightslaw Summer School 2019 is a series of self-study readings, written assignments, and maybe even a quiz or two, that will help you prepare for the next school year.

Is your child transitioning to college, vocational training, employment, or independent living?

During the transition process, help your child learn about her rights and responsibilities in post-secondary school, and her civil rights.

At least two federal laws provide protection for your child at the post-secondary level. There may be other state and/or local laws that also provide protection.

Self-Advocacy is learning how to speak up for yourself. Encourage your child to learn how to advocate for herself after public school.

In this issue, Summer School Session 5, you will find information and resources about college and continuing education, accommodations after high-school, and self-advocacy. Download your Summer School Certificate.

In Session 1, Session 2, Session 3, and Session 4 you learned about the Section 1400(c)(14) requirements for transition services to promote successful post-school employment and/or education.

We hope you will forward this series to other friends, families, or colleagues.


Who Writes the 504 When my Son Loses his IEP?

Help! My son with LD and an IEP is graduating from high school and I understand he will lose his IEP. Will he have a 504 now and who will do it? What colleges are best for kids with learning disabilities?


Transition to Post-Secondary Education: 504 Plan?

Parents should consider having a 504 plan from the public school in the last two years prior to attending college, since college disability offices recognize 504 and ADA, but not IDEA.

Dr. Marilyn Bartlett explains why transition from the IEP to a 504 plan in the freshman or sophomore year can be very important.


Self-Advocacy Skills Support Lifelong Success

Self-Advocacy is learning how to speak up for yourself. Help your child develop effective self-advocacy skills, to speak up for himself after public school.

Know yourself, know your needs, and know how to get what you need.


College: Continuing Education

Post-secondary institutions have very different responsibilities from your public school district.

There are many resources that will guide you through this process and help you make good decisions about the transition to further education, and the choices available.


Summer School 2019 Certificate

Congratulations! You have completed -

Summer School 2019: Transition
Planning for your Child's Future

Download your Certificate.

back to the top

What People Are Saying About The Special Ed Advocate Newsletter

"Thanks for the trustworthy information and support you provide through and the newsletter. You helped our family act when we needed to - we are thriving now."


Great Products From Wrightslaw

Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2017, by Pam and Pete Wright
About the Book

Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition, by Pam and Pete Wright
About the Book

About Book

Wrightslaw: All About IEPs
About Book

Wrightslaw: All About Tests and Assessments, 2nd Edition
About Book

Surviving Due Process: Stephen Jeffers v. School Board
About DVD Video

To Order

To Order

To Order

To Order

To Order

To Order