Print this page
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference
with Wayne Steedman, Esq.
Ann Arbor, MI
Sunday, November 3, 2019
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference, a Wrightslaw training program featuring Wayne Steedman, Esq., is being sponsored by the Down Syndrome Support Team.
The program will be held at:
The Kensington Hotel
3500 South State Street
Ann Arbor, MI, 48108
One-day special education law and advocacy programs focus on four areas:
Wrightslaw programs are designed to meet the needs of parents, educators, health care providers, advocates and attorneys who represent children with disabilities regarding special education. The program is not disability specific.
- special education law, rights and responsibilities
- tests and measurements to measure progress & regression
- SMART IEPs
- introduction to tactics & strategies for effective advocacy
Registration and Exhibits |
- IDEA History, Book Overview
- Section 1400 Findings, Purpose
- Section 1401 Definitions: Disability, Special Education, Related Services, LD, etc.
Lunch and Exhibits Open
Section 1412 ESY, Child Find, LRE, Private Placements
- Understanding Test Data with the Bell Curve
Section 1414 Evaluations and IEPs
- Section 1415 Due Process, Rules of Procedure, Discipline
- Section 504, ADA, FERPA, ESSA, OCR, USDOJ
- Legal Research - how to find cases
- Endrew F. + Fry SCOTUS and other recent cases
From Emotions to Advocacy
- Developing the Master Plan
- Knowing the Rules of the Game
- Dealing with Conflict
- Crisis, Emergency, Help
- Organization of the File
- SMART IEPs
- Tactics and Strategies
- The Letter to the Stranger
- 5 Ws + H + E
- Meeting Strategies
Questions and Answers
On or Before
August 31, 2019
* Early Bird registrants will receive FREE downloads of Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Ed. and Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2016.
Conference fee includes lunch, snack, a Wrightslaw highlighter pen and the three Wrightslaw books which retail for $62.85 - Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition, Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Edition, and Wrightslaw: All About IEPs.
Click here to register online.
Registration opens July 1, 2019.
Download the flyer/registration form - Coming Soon!
Scholarships: Current Down Syndrome Support Team families can contact the event coordinator for a 80% scholarship.
Refund Policy: No refunds will be given after October 25, 2019.
Special Needs Accommodations: Please contact Misty Kluck no later than September 1, 2019 via email wrightslaw |at| downsyndromesupportteam.org.
Questions? Contact event coordinator Misty Kluck by telephone 734-780-6795 or by email wrightslaw |at| downsyndromesupportteam.org.
Wrightslaw programs often fill up early - don't miss out!
Logistics, Directions and Accommodations
Map and directions to the The Kensington Hotel.
Parking is free at the The Kensington Hotel.
Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
(approximately 30 minutes to venue)
Click here for a list of local hotels.
To Wrightslaw Seminars & Training
Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities
the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities so people can get reliable information and support.
The State Yellow Pages has many useful resources - evaluators, educational consultants, academic tutors, support groups, grassroots organizations, advocates, attorneys and others who help parents get services for their children.
If you provide a service, sign up to be listed on the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities - this is a free service from Wrightslaw.
Wrightslaw Seminars & Training