"Exceptions to the rule" cause the body of law to change and grow! Unique facts may compel judges to write a decision contrary to current case law. Read for yourself the facts in a case in Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2018. Do not rely on the opinions and biases of others.
Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2018 will help you be in a stronger position to understand the evolution of special education legal issues. Get a clearer sense about unwritten factors affecting case decisions and learn how the law is evolving in your Circuit.
Learn about current and emerging issues in special education law including:
- All decisions in IDEA and Section 504/ADA cases by Courts of Appeals in 2018
- How Courts of Appeals are interpreting two recent decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court.
- Five exemplary Cases of the Year - Cases about discrimination in daycare centers, private schools, and higher education; damages; higher standards for IEPs and "Least Restrictive Environment"
- Steps to resolving special education disputes between parents and schools
This unique book includes:
- Table of 2018 Special Education Decisions with date, court, description of issues, outcome
- Comprehensive description of each 2018 Decision, including prevailing party
2018 Cases of the Year
Case of the Year are “must reads” for special education attorneys, advocates, and others who are interested in special education law.
- Shaikh v. Texas A&M
- Berardelli v. Allied Services Institute of Rehab Medicine (dePaul School)
- L.H. v. Hamilton County Department of Education
- Sophie G. v. Willson County Schools
- Texas Education Agency v. US Dept of Education
Table of Contents
Chapter 1. Legal Concepts and Education Laws, includes an overview of the legal terms, concepts, and statutes related to special education law.
Chapter 2. The Process to Resolve Special Education Disputes, describes the steps in resolving a special education dispute - from the initial request for a due process hearing through appeals to the U.S. District Court, the U.S. Court of Appeals, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Chapter 3. Finding Cases with "Google Scholar", is a tutorial on how to use Google Scholar and have Alerts sent to you when relevant cases are published.
Chapter 4. Table of Cases from U.S. Courts of Appeals in 2018, includes a Table of Decisions and short summary of all significant U.S. Court of Appeals decisions issued in 2017.
Chapter 5. U.S. Courts of Appeals Cases in 2018, in a comprehensive description of the Court of Appeals cases, using text from the decisions. We keep our interpretations of the rulings to a minimum and instead provide direct quotes from the Court's opinion.
Complete Table of Contents (PDF)
Complete Index (PDF)
Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2018 PDF-Download
The PDF download includes bookmarks and page
thumbnails so you can move easily between chapters and pages. You
can search the entire book for specific terms or topics in seconds.
When you purchase the PDF Download, you will receive
a receipt by email that includes the download link. When you click the
link, the book file will be downloaded onto your computer.
Depending on your connection speed, this may take a few minutes.
The Table of Decisions includes the date, court, synopsis of legal issues, outcome, and prevailing party in the cases. Each case in the Table of Decisions is linked to a summary of the case where the Court's words are used to describe the issues in the case and the Court's rulings.