Certificate Program v. Regular Diploma?
No Way!

Yellow Pages for Kids    l   Blog   l    Law   l    Advocacy    l  Training   l     Store    l  Subscribe   l    Sitemap   l   Contact Us

In This Issue . . .

Circulation: 85, 030
ISSN: 1538-320
May 17, 2011

What graduation track is your child on? If she wants to attend a community college or college, she will need a regular high school diploma!

Parents of children with disabilities need to understand the different types of diplomas offered by your school.

Will your child receive a regular or standard diploma? Has the IEP team considered the course standards for a regular diploma and determined your child cannot meet them? Why not?

Is an "alternate diploma" appropriate for your child?

In this issue of the Special Ed Advocate, you will learn about diploma options and requirements. Find out what diploma is appropriate for your child, what the IEP team should consider, and what parents can do to keep graduation expectations high.

Please don't hesitate to forward this issue to other friends, families, or colleagues.

Not a subscriber?
Sign up FREE Today!
Read previous issues

Find Wrightslaw on FacebookWrightslaw on Facebook


New Article! Certificate Program v. Regular Diploma - No Way!

Has the IEP team discussed supports and accommodations that would help your child receive a regular high school diploma?

Parents must know what your child needs in order to meet the same expectations as other students.

In Certificate Program v. Regular Diploma, Parent Trainer Susan Bruce says, "No Way!" Don’t settle for an 'alternate diploma.' Begin with the highest expectation possible for your child. Don’t lower that expectation until you extinguish every possibility.


Advantages & Disadvantages of an Alternate Diploma

"For parents of students with disabilities, it is especially critical to understand the differences between the standard diploma and any alternatives offered by the school and to make informed decisions about the student’s program of study.

States vary in the allowances they make for students with disabilities to receive a standard diploma.

Parents and students need to look at what alternative diploma options mean in the eyes of future employers and postsecondary institutions."

Graduation Requirements and Diploma Options: What Families Need to Know, National PTA Magazine.

Sue Whitney

Q. My son is on a basic ed diploma track. Will retention push my child off the diploma path?

Advocate Sue Whitney answers, "I assume 'basic ed diploma' means something less than a standard diploma? Do you know what it means?"

Parents need to be very sure, very early in the game, you understand which diploma...

More questions? Everyday, people just like you, Ask the Advocates.


Regular Diploma Requires a Summary of Performance

When your child graduates from high school with a regular diploma or “ages out” of special education, IDEA requires the school to provide a “summary of academic achievement and functional performance.”

The Summary of Performance (SOP) is most useful when completed during the transition IEP process. The SOP should include recommendations about ways to help meet post-secondary goals.

Read What Is the Intent of a Summary of Performance?


What People Are Saying About The Special Ed Advocate Newsletter

"Thanks for the trustworthy information and support you provide through the Wrightslaw web site and newsletter. You helped our family act when we needed to - we are thriving now."


Great Products From Wrightslaw

Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Edition, by Pam and Pete Wright Wrightslaw: All About IEPs

Surviving Due Process: Stephen Jeffers v. School Board

About the Book
To Order
About Book
To Order
About Book
To Order
About DVD Video
To Order

Visit Wrightslaw.com