Print this page
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference
with Pete Wright, Esq.
Park City, UT
Monday, October 26, 2020
Wrightslaw Special Education Law and Advocacy Conference, a Wrightslaw training program featuring Pete Wright, Esq., is being sponsored by Park City READS.
The program will be held at:
Blair Education Center
Park City Hospital
900 Round Valley Drive
Park City, UT 84060
One-day special education law and advocacy programs focus on four areas:
Wrightslaw programs are designed to meet the needs of parents, educators, health care providers, advocates and attorneys who represent children with disabilities regarding special education. The program is not disability specific.
- special education law, rights and responsibilities
- tests and measurements to measure progress & regression
- SMART IEPs
- introduction to tactics & strategies for effective advocacy
- IDEA History, Book Overview
- Section 1400 Findings, Purpose
- Section 1401 Definitions: Disability, Special Education, Related Services, LD, etc.
Section 1412 ESY, Child Find, LRE, Private Placements
- Understanding Test Data with the Bell Curve
Section 1414 Evaluations and IEPs
- Section 1415 Due Process, Rules of Procedure, Discipline
- Section 504, ADA, FERPA, ESSA, OCR, USDOJ
- Legal Research - how to find cases
- Endrew F. + Fry SCOTUS and other recent cases
From Emotions to Advocacy
- Developing the Master Plan
- Knowing the Rules of the Game
- Dealing with Conflict
- Crisis, Emergency, Help
- Organization of the File
- SMART IEPs
- Tactics and Strategies
- The Letter to the Stranger
- 5 Ws + H + E
- Meeting Strategies
Questions and Answers
* Early Bird
on or before
Sept. 14, 2020
* Early Bird registrants will receive FREE adobe.pdf downloads of Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Ed. and Wrightslaw: Special Education Legal Developments and Cases 2017, which includes all of the 2017 U. S. Court of Appeals special education cases and the two 2017 U. S. Supreme Court cases, Fry and Endrew F., which have a retail value of $34.90.
Conference fee includes lunch, a Wrightslaw highlighter pen, three Wrightslaw books - Wrightslaw: Special Education Law, 2nd Ed., Wrightslaw: From Emotions to Advocacy, 2nd Ed., and Wrightslaw: All About IEPs provided the morning of the conference and then, within a week after the program, Wrightslaw will email those three books to each attendee in the adobe.pdf format. The three print and pdf books retail for $103.70.
Click here to register online.
Download the printable registration form.
Download and share the conference flyer.
Credits: 6.0 CLE (continuing legal education) credits have been approved through the Utah's State Board of Continuing Legal Education. There is an additional fee of $25. 0.6 CEU (continuing education units) through Delta State University have been approved. There is an additional fee of $20. Both payable online.
Scholarships: Parents may apply for a Hall Family Fund Scholarship which reduces the event registration fee to $50. Applications are being accepted and awarded on a rolling basis until all ten (10) scholarships have been awarded. Apply here. Educators within Summit County, UT may apply for a PC READS Professional Development Grant to cover registration fees. Click here for more information. Five educators have been awarded a Reading Horizon's Educator Scholarship, covering the event registration fee.
Sponsorship Opportunities: Download the flyer for details on sponsorship opportunities.
Updated Refund Policy: For tickets purchased prior to March 18, 2020 refunds may be requested through September 1, 2020. For tickets pruchased on or after March 18, 2020, refunds may be requestd through October 1, 2020. However, Eventbrite fees are nonrefundable. After October 1, 2020, refunds may be granted on a discretionary basis. Email elissa.pcreads |at| gmail.com.
Questions? Contact Elissa Aten, Executive Director, PC READS by telephone at 435-729-0440 or by email: Elissa.pcreads |at| gmail.com.
Wrightslaw programs often fill up early - don't miss out!
Logistics, Directions and Accommodations
Map and directions to the Blair Education Center.
Parking is free at the venue.
Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) is approximately 40 miles to the venue and has flights to 97 non-stop destinations.
Click here for a list of local hotels.
To Wrightslaw Seminars & Training
Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities
the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities so people can get reliable information and support.
The State Yellow Pages has many useful resources - evaluators, educational consultants, academic tutors, support groups, grassroots organizations, advocates, attorneys and others who help parents get services for their children.
If you provide a service, sign up to be listed on the Yellow Pages for Kids with Disabilities - this is a free service from Wrightslaw.
Wrightslaw Seminars & Training