As a parent, you negotiate with the school for services. To be a successful negotiator, you must understand the system and how it works.
You need a good game plan!
Many parents don’t realize that school systems are bureaucracies. Parents often don’t know how important decisions are made – or by whom.
- Gather & organize information; hone advocacy skills
- Learn about your rights & responsibilities
- Get a comprehensive evaluation from a private sector expert
- Read one book a month
- Use self-help tools: Wrightslaw Way Blog & Community Helpline
- Do your homework
- Research online information and resources