The Wrightslaw Way

to Special Education Law and Advocacy

The Wrightslaw Way random header image

COMMUNITY HELPLINE: Ask or Answer a Question Here

Welcome to the Community Helpline

If you would like to ask the Community a question, or if you have advice, an answer, or an experience to share, please post this in the comments section below.

Please use your first name only when commenting. All comments are previewed by Wrightslaw before they are posted on the blog.

Your comment/question/answer will not be approved unless it is  150 words or less. Because people are more likely read short posts, we ask that you limit comments to 75-100 words. Please check the word count before submitting a comment, question or answer. Rants and vents will not be approved. We do not post advertisement for sales of products or services.

Begin your post with a TOPIC – IN CAPS. This will help others find information quickly.

Please scroll through the questions. You’ll find helpful information from a variety of perspectives. If you have advice, please share.

Thanks for being part of the Wrightslaw Way Community. Happy sharing!

Remember, in the name field below, use your first name only.

HELP WANTED FOR COMMUNITY HELPLINE

The Wrightslaw Way Helpline requests that members of the community (that’s YOU) help others who post questions here. To offer advice, suggestions, or experiences that may help, post your comment in the comment box and click “submit.”

Thanks! Pam & Pete

HELPLINE Archives: Find questions Asked and Answered on Topics A – K and Topics L – Z.

Print Friendly

→ 26 Comments

26 responses so far ↓

• 1 Janet 10/31/14 at 10:32 am

SCHOOL REFUSES TRANSPORTATION

What can I do if the school district continues to deny my request for school bus transportation for my 4y/o autistic son? Their answer is that the law states they don’t have to provide transportation because he attends his residence school. I know of many students that get transportation and still attend their residence school…..I don’t get it. I’m having a meeting next week with the SELPA director from our school district and I would love to hear from the community and perhaps offer me some advice. Thank you :)

• 2 Morning 10/30/14 at 12:41 pm

SCHOOL MAY WANT TO ‘LABEL’ OUR CHILD “SPECIAL NEEDS

I would like to add kudos to the school for possibly seeing a need for further discussions with the parents. Some schools may push such concerns to the side citing, “wait and see” approach. The “wait and see” approach has failed many students. Some parents do not want their children labeled but the process is good for the parents to know. John, educate yourself on your son’s rights. Also, it is sage advice to hear their concerns. A child’s behavior at home may not be fully reflective of behavior at school. If the school has some observations, it may be helpful to hear them out. How is he being compared to other students? When is his birthday compared to others in his classroom? Obtain more details on the demographics in the classroom. Ask questions but hear them out.

• 3 Heather 10/30/14 at 11:17 am

CONFIDENTIALITY ISSUES

I was notified that my son attempted to kiss a girl in school. He has a full time paraprofessional who witnessed the incident. The para said that the girl had an injury on her arm and my son wanted to “kiss it to make it better.” The girl objected and moved away from him and he was not able to kiss her. The staff talked to him and told him that is not appropriate to kiss anyone in school and that he made the girl upset etc. I contacted the school to see if she was on his van or in his class. Not her name any other information. I wanted to make sure that if it was the girl on his van we took steps to prevent him from trying to kiss her on the van where the only adult is the driver. They told me they could not answer that question. Is there any basis to this? If my son could talk, he would just tell me who it was. He can’t tell me.

• 4 Jon 10/29/14 at 6:56 pm

SCHOOL WITHHOLDS VIEWING OF CLASSROOM TESTS

I have a child with mild Asberger’s that is lucky enough to attend a brand new high school specializing in STEM here in California. He has struggles at times with a very singular approach to studying for tests, and I’ve been working extensively at home to help him become more flexible (I am also a teacher but not in his district). In the past I’ve reviewed his tests after the fact so he can understand his weaknesses, but his school has implemented a policy where he can’t take his test questions home to see his deficiencies so he can learn from his knowledge gaps. I have to take a day off just to get a half hour “viewing” at each teacher’s convenience. Is this even legal? I should add that even though this is a public school, it considers itself more “distinguished” than other schools; the teachers are hand-picked by the principal.

• 5 Chuck 10/29/14 at 11:41 am

BULLYING RESULTS IN PTSD DIAGNOSIS FOR STUDENT WITH LD/ADD IEP

Every district should have policies & procedures regarding investigating reports of bullying. Parents should find the state & district policies on this to see if the campus followed them. If they did not, then they are in violation of the state law/regulations. This site has lots of good resources on bullying. Also the Office of Civil Rights has issued several letters on bullying & its affect on FAPE for a child with disabilities. This week’s wrightslaw e-newsletter reviews OCR’s Oct letter on bullying.

• 6 Chuck 10/29/14 at 11:31 am

SCHOOL MAY WANT TO ‘LABEL’ OUR CHILD “SPECIAL NEEDS”

Yes, they could propose evaluating him for having a disability & having a need for special ed services. However, they need your consent to do an evaluation & then your consent to provide him with special ed services. So you have 2 opportunities to stop the process.

• 7 John 10/29/14 at 8:56 am

SCHOOL MAY WANT TO ‘LABEL’ OUR CHILD “SPECIAL NEEDS”

My son started kindergarten in August. According to his teacher he does well with his assignments involving math and reading. He is not disruptive. He follows directions. At home he is highly social, empathetic, has a sense of humor and easy to deal with. Yet, we received a request from his school to meet with the school principal, psychiatrist, counselor, physical therapist and teacher. They claim that they called the meeting because they see a problem with Jaden not interacting with other children during playtime, and struggles with some fine motor skills. We are very concerned that the school may attempt to label our son as a ‘special needs’ child. According to the teacher he is academically where he needs to be. Can he be labeled ‘special needs’ simply for poor ‘play’ skills?

• 8 MM 10/28/14 at 5:57 pm

BULLYING RESULTS IN PTSD DIAGNOSIS FOR STUDENT WITH LD/ADD IEP

Our son has experienced bullying throughout his school career. Second semester of junior year we noticed declining mood, lack of homework completion, and in May he disclosed bullying had occurred on a daily basis. We told the school counselor and our son said he did not feel SAFE at school. We meet with the Vice Principal the very next day who said he would call the three boys involved and their parents. Three weeks go by. No word. Then the Principal calls and tell us they will call the boys/parents in the fall when school starts again: 3 MONTHS AFTER FIRST BEING TOLD OF BULLYING. We got our son therapy and he now has PTSD/Depression which therapist told us is the result of years of bullying. No investigation of bullying. No reconvene of IEP. Is this legal?

• 9 Katherine 10/27/14 at 8:39 pm

PARAPROFESSIONAL PROVIDING 1:1 DIRECT INSTRUCTION

The school is saying it is fine to have a paraprofessional provide direct 1:1 IEP mandated time. They even quoted IDEA from 1997 as the reasoning. We are not a Title 1 school. The original goal of the 1:1 time was to build foundational skills not review skills which is what the paraprofessional is doing. Can they use a paraprofessional for 1:1 direct instruction and how do I determine if the paraprofessional is certified or just an instructional assistant?

• 10 julee 10/27/14 at 8:23 pm

CAN TEACHERS QUESTION STUDENTS ABOUT MEDICATION?

Are teachers allowed to question a student about whether or not they took their medication or not? My son was asked this by a teacher several times – enough that he be came very agitated and ultimately suspended for behavior issues.

• 11 Kelly 10/27/14 at 6:00 pm

PRINCIPAL CHANGED AIDE WITHOUT IEP MEETING

My daughter has had a 1:1 aide for 6 years. She has had the same aide the whole time. She is now in junior high and we are having trouble with the school claiming it is better for her to have more than one aide. So the principle changed her main aide schedule to end before the school day ends. Then a second aide takes over. Can that change be made outside of an IEP meeting?

• 12 Jo 10/27/14 at 3:09 pm

LAW ABOUT TRAILER VS CLASSROOMS

What act or law deals with trailer vs. classrooms. I cannot remember the law name but it states a self contained classroom or special ed classroom can be in a trailer IF there is a like class in the building.
    Thank you.

• 13 Chuck 10/27/14 at 12:55 pm

SCHOOL SAYS CAN’T MISS CLASS TIME FOR ABA AT HOME

Kera, Yes a school can, & many do, provide ABA therapy at school. Services are to be provided based on a child’s needs, & determined on an individual basis, not on rules like “We only provide it in these situations”. If you can provide documentation from an Autism specialist that your child has made academic progress due to ABA training that can strengthen your case for ABA services at school.

• 14 Kera 10/25/14 at 5:04 pm

SCHOOL SAYS CAN’T MISS CLASS TIME FOR ABA AT HOME

I have been pulling my 4th grade daughter out of school twice a week for 90 minutes each day to receive ABA therapy at home. I was told we would have a 90-day trial period and evaluate to see if it affects her school performance. It has actually been really great and she has progressed academically more than ever before. However, the trial period is almost over, and they are telling me they will no longer excuse the time she misses for therapy at home because they have to go by FAPE and do the full day of school. Is it possible for the district to provide ABA therapy at school? I was told that they only did that for kids who are disruptive in class, and she is not. Or is it possible for her to continue missing the hours of school? I want to know who is telling the truth! Thanks.

• 15 Brandy 10/23/14 at 9:27 pm

504 AND AFTER SCHOOL FUNCTIONS

We have a 504 for a severe peanut allergy that, in part, states our child is covered in before and after school events. We wrote to confirm that she will be safe to attend an after school carnival and we were told that they can’t accommodate her and will be removing that after school hours language from her 504. The carnival is hosted by the PTO and located at the school. Are they able to do that? Is there something that I can show them as it relates to a 504? Everything that I find addresses an I.E.P.

• 16 Cindi 10/21/14 at 2:55 pm

SCHOOL RESISTANT TO PARENT INPUT IN IEP

My son started 6th grade this year. He transferred back to home district after out-of-district application was denied. The IEP team has met 5 times in 5 weeks. I’ve taken responsibility for my son’s education, have become educated about his disabilities (ASD, OHI and S/LI) and how he manifests them, know how to write appropriate PLOPs, short-term objectives, benchmarks and goals. The school is very resistant in putting anything the parents have to say into the IEP. They just want to staple our concerns to the back of the document. School doesn’t want to meet again until we meet with Special Education Director (Meeting is Nov. 5) In the mean time he has had a VICAP from our CSB and received a strong recommendation that he be transferred to City school as County does not provide TDT at the middle school level. FAPE issues come to mind.

• 17 Heidi 10/21/14 at 11:45 am

TRANSPORTATION TO PRIVATE PLACEMENT

My son was just placed on an IEP for emotional disturbance and OHI (he was on an IEP, then 504, now back on an IEP). The team agrees the present general setting is not appropriate. I will be reviewing other BSP placement options. One suggestion made by the special services member (also the county SS executive) was for private placement at a licensed school out of county. Who is responsible for transportation if FAPE is served there when the school refers to that placement?

• 18 Chuck 10/20/14 at 12:45 pm

AFTER SCHOOL FUNCTIONS AND THE IEP

Ann, the school has a responsibility to provide access to extracurricular & nonacademic activities. Go to the Wrightslaw home page & do a search on extracurricular. There are a number of articles on this topic.

• 19 Lynn 10/18/14 at 9:38 pm

CHILD WITH 504 NOT MAKING PROGRESS

My child has gone through the evaluation process due to a diagnosis of Selective Mutism. He also has some difficulties with tactile sensitivity, auditory filtering, Visual/Auditory sensitivities. He was found to not need specially designed instruction. We have a 504 , but feel he hasn’t made meaningful educational progress. We feel that an IEP should be developed. What are your thoughts? Thank You.

• 20 Ann 10/18/14 at 7:47 am

AFTER SCHOOL FUNCTIONS AND THE IEP

I would like to know if the school has a responsibility to uphold the IEP for after school functions. For example, my son is in the school band and the band will be performing at a football game at night. His IEP states that he receives “Paraprofessional support throughout the school day”. Band is part of his school day and the football game is a band function for which he will be graded for.

Is the school responsible for providing the paraprofessional support after school hours at this school function?

• 21 Lisa 10/17/14 at 8:39 pm

TEACHERS’ COMMENTS ABOUT ADHD SON

I have an ADHD/LD son who is a senior in high school. I have witnessed his self worth being destroyed slowly over the past several years due to his teachers and administrator making comments about his lack of abilities, laziness, etc… To me, this is bullying. How do I protect my child from those who are supposed to be there to help him? What gives them the right to destroy someone’s worth?

• 22 Nadene 10/16/14 at 11:17 pm

CHANGING GRADE WITHOUT PARENT CONSENT

Can a school change a 7th grader to an 8th grader without parental consent, in order to graduate the student a year earlier, due to the student being age appropriate for 8th grade?

• 23 Kris 10/16/14 at 9:46 pm

BEHAVIOR INTERVENTION

My question is similar to Nicole’s on 9/27/14 except that I am a parent of a child in a room with a disruptive and aggressive child. I voiced concerns to the teacher, especially after she hit my child, but she said all they can do is offer my child counseling services to learn to deal with the other child’s outbursts. The school is not even allowed to notify us when our children have been “evacuated” to other rooms when she is upset and all the building’s administration is called to their classroom to intervene. Is there anything that protect my child’s right to an education?

• 24 JJ 10/15/14 at 1:20 pm

EARLY RELEASE TRANSPORTATION

My daughter (Hoh) attends a regional day school 80 miles away. The LEA transports her. Certain days the Day school early releases at 12:45. On those days our child has to wait with Transportation 2 1/2 hours before they will transporter an 1/2 home. ( they transport kids to other schools in that area who have different schedules.) I feel like this is discrimination against my very young daughter. We ask the school for a written policy on this and they gave us a sheet of paper explaining it is a practice not a policy. I’m in search of a law that I could print that might help. Open to suggestions. Thank you.

• 25 Isela 10/10/14 at 3:32 pm

HOW DO We ASK FOR RESIDENTIAL PLACEMENT?

The therapist has asked that i ask for residential for my daughter through her IEP. We want to know how to ask for residential and what are our rights. If we ask for residential and later decide it’s not for her can we change our minds?

• 26 Delores 10/07/14 at 8:45 pm

I’M A THERAPIST. DO I HAVE TO MAKE UP MISSED SERVICES?

I provide related services to charter schools in Massachusetts. One of my therapist has been told by the special ed. coordinator that she must make up the missed time for a student that the school sent out due to behavioral safety concerns. This student has a behavioral plan written stating he will be sent home for unsafe behaviors. However, my therapist shows up to see him and he’s not there. Now she’s been informed that the services need to be made up. Is that correct?? He’s missed academic days also and those are not being made up.